Long Spay Incision (graphic image)

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just brought my 5 month old kitten home this morning from being spayed yesterday. I've had cats spayed in the past but none of them ever had an incision this long....it's at least 3 inches. Has anyone ever had this happen?
20210929_095150.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a cat spayed by that vet before? Every vet seems to have their own technique, and that one may prefer more room to work. It's not a very tidy incision either, although it does look secure. If you have used that vet, and their stitchwork was better before, you could call to ask if everything went well.

Is it possible she was in heat or in early pregnancy? That would require a larger incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a cat spayed by that vet before? Every vet seems to have their own technique, and that one may prefer more room to work. It's not a very tidy incision either, although it does look secure. If you have used that vet, and their stitchwork was better before, you could call to ask if everything went well.

Is it possible she was in heat or in early pregnancy? That would require a larger incision.
Thanks for replying! This was the first time using this vet. We got the kitten at 6 weeks old so no chance of being pregnant and no signs of being in heat. I did talk with another vet's office and she thought they may have had trouble locating the "horn". The kitten is long and slim if that makes any difference?!

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying! This was the first time using this vet. We got the kitten at 6 weeks old so no chance of being pregnant and no signs of being in heat. I did talk with another vet's office and she thought they may have had trouble locating the horn. The kitten is long and slim if that makes any difference?!
Look up that vet's name and see when he/she graduated from veterinary college. Resident vets have this problem the first time they do it on a cat. Because spaying is by far the most common surgery on female cats, any vet who has completed his/her residency will know all about finding the horn and making a clean incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Look up that vet's name and see when he/she graduated from veterinary college. Resident vets have this problem the first time they do it on a cat. Because spaying is by far the most common surgery on female cats, any vet who has completed his/her residency will know all about finding the horn and making a clean incision.
An associate vet preformed the spay surgery. According to their website, he graduated veterinarian college in 2000 and has been with this practice since 2015. I also thought the incision would be neater and, of course, much smaller.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My old vet's spays were looking like that by the time he retired. . .of course he was 73 and had shaky hands and arthritis. . .so it's a little odd that somone who isn't new and is probably only in their late 40s would be so sloppy. But of course the important part is inside, neatness is just extra points :tongue: .