Long-haired Cat And Poop

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've discovered the joys of having a long-haired white cat... woke up this morning to a brown bottom. I trimmed away what I could and wiped her down, but I was wondering what everyone else does about poop getting caught in the fur? Do cats usually groom themselves thoroughly, or should I keep it trimmed?

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This in a nutshell is why we chose to adopt DSH rather than the 2 Ragdoll kittens I would have loved to have! I have 2 Havanese and am fully acquainted with butt baths! As I have learned to manage their diets and hair trims there are many fewer butt baths however the prospect of dealing with this issue with a cat was daunting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This in a nutshell is why we chose to adopt DSH rather than the 2 Ragdoll kittens I would have loved to have! I have 2 Havanese and am fully acquainted with butt baths! As I have learned to manage their diets and hair trims there are many fewer butt baths however the prospect of dealing with this issue with a cat was daunting!
She definitely did not want to sit still for her butt bath and was perfectly content to keep running around the house with a gross bum! I'll plan on this being a usual thing and invest in some pet-friendly wipes. She's a little kitten so many wiping years ahead of me! :p

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look into her diet. I have to be careful with my long-haired girl's diet.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's pretty common to trim the fur around a long-haired cat's bum to keep things cleaner. It's what's know as a 'sanitary clip' by professional groomers ;) This is especially helpful with kittens, as they're still learning how to keep things clean and tidy back there.

I'd definitely keep your girl trimmed back there, and it might be worth getting her used to being wiped down with a damp washcloth or pet wipes/cat-safe baby wipes too. If she learns to accept it now, it'll make life much easier for both of you :) Even my short-haired girl needs a bit of 'help' from time to time (she's not the most fastidious groomer where her butt is concerned), so training them to accept your help early on really is worthwhile.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We call these “butt events” in my house. It’s particularly fun when it’s diarrhea which, fortunately, is extremely rare now that I’m feeding better food and giving probiotics. Two of my three have long hair, and the calico, in particular, has very silky fine hair. It can sometimes act like a spider wrapping its prey in a cocoon! I bought a rechargeable cordless clipper and regularly trim back the hair under their tails. It’s very quiet and the noise doesn’t seem to bother them. They don’t love the trimming process, though, and grumble a bit about it.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We call these “butt events” in my house. It’s particularly fun when it’s diarrhea which, fortunately, is extremely rare now that I’m feeding better food and giving probiotics. Two of my three have long hair, and the calico, in particular, has very silky fine hair. It can sometimes act like a spider wrapping its prey in a cocoon! I bought a rechargeable cordless clipper and regularly trim back the hair under their tails. It’s very quiet and the noise doesn’t seem to bother them. They don’t love the trimming process, though, and grumble a bit about it.
What is the brand of your clipper? I’m in the market for a cordless clipper. I have several long-haired cats that benefit greatly from sanitary cuts.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our vet will do what they call a "pantaloons" cut. But this is sort of an expensive way to do it...I'm also getting some clippers soon. They have to be totally silent cat-clippers because apparently the buzz of ordinary clippers will drive cats almost literally insane

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
What is the brand of your clipper? I’m in the market for a cordless clipper. I have several long-haired cats that benefit greatly from sanitary cuts.
I have the Andis Cordless Animal Trimmer, Equine and Livestock Grooming D-4 (32130), but I don’t recommend it. If you look on Amazon, other people don’t like it either. It’s super lightweight and quiet but like so many rechargeable things I’ve bought, it has stopped holding a charge. I’m going to look for a different one.

I also have a Remington trimmer with a cord that I use for the cooperative one of my pair of long hairs. It works well and is quiet. Iris just jumps up in the bathroom counter and lies on a towel while I trim her. Lily, on the other hand, struggles and shrieks like a soul in torment so I want a cordless so I can get her when she’s asleep in her favorite chair. :)

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the shaver descriptions. I have a similar situation with my cats. Bassie just sits still for whatever; she loves getting combed, too. Java struggles and tries to run away; I have to work on her coat in short sessions or she gets wild.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Littlecatt, Is your white kitten a white point Ragdoll?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's pretty common to trim the fur around a long-haired cat's bum to keep things cleaner. It's what's know as a 'sanitary clip' by professional groomers
I completely agree. :thumbsup: Our Persian cream colored cat goes to the groomer approximately 3 times p/year. He gets what they call a sanitary shave. It takes care of the sticky poop problem remarkably well.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Problems owning a beautiful Persian:
1) Hair shedding
2) Hair matting
3) Tearing eye stain problems
4) Guck in their eyes
5) Dirty bottoms

Pros: They're docile, lovely to look at, and quiet.