long-hair with dry fur

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Samson's fur is dry lately. Especially in the areas where it tends to mat (on his back around his ruff) - the fur seems to be brittle and just falls out if we pull at the mats with a brush.
Is this caused by his mats or is his fur dry from the cold weather or a nutritional deficiency?
He eats Science Diet Indoor and Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys.
Is there a food, dietary supplement or fur conditioner I can use on him?
Thanks.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably both the food and the humidity (lack there of).

You can supplement with salmon oil - there is some intended for cats (and dogs) and some people use some that is made for humans.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - food and humidity in the house. But IMO Science Diet is NOT the best food and you might consider other higher quality food in dry AND canned. Sometimes cats feed all dry are lacking some of the oils.

Check into Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance or Royal Canin in both the dry and canned foods.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Giving fish oil will help tremendously. We get fish oil capsules at Sam's and snip the end then squirt in wet food and mix in. It's really helped my older cat's fur and overall health and well-being. She's much more playful than before and her fur is silky soft.

BTW, she eats SD k/d, which is not the best but helps with her kidney issues. She also gets a wet food concoction.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

We get fish oil capsules at Sam's and snip the end then squirt in wet food and mix in.
You can't just go and get any fish oil. Unless my memory's completely failing here I recall that propylene glycol (a common additive in the fish oil capsules and other OTC supplements like l-lysine) isn't something one should be giving to their cats.

(and unless my memory is even worse than I thought, it was hissy that shared that information a couple years back in a warning to people buying OTC l-lysine.)

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get fish oil supplement at any pet food store and many grocery stores that is just for cats. This would help ensure you're not giving something that could be dangerous to your cat. Humidity was mentioned and that's another good suggestion. I know this is going to sound contradictory, but often a coat that feels extremely dry and matts easily just needs a good shampoo and conditioning. At least that has been my experience with my long haired cats.