Long hair or medium hair?

katayl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my cat Nala in November last year. She was black with a bushy brown undercoat and bushy tail.

But since Spring came, she has lost most of the brown undercoat (despite being an indoor cat) and now half of her body has short hair while the tail, stomach and legs etc is still long. How would I describe her?

Winter fur

Summer fur

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Gorgeous kitty :D

Nala is what's known in the UK as a semi longhair, semi's are still classed as longhairs though. Confusing I know :lol3:

Maine coons have a semi longhaired coat - in winter they grow a full coat with longer hair on their necks ( called a ruff/bib ) longer hair on back of back legs ( trousers/breaches ) longer belly hair and long tail hair. The hair on the trunk/back of their bodies is much shorter than this longer hair.
Then in summer they moult and lose most of their coat so they almost look the same length all over.

Hope this explains ;)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

katayl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! :)

The longhaired cats I've had in the past haven't changed much between the seasons so this change surprised me (and my vacuum cleaner lol). She is more comfortable now though I think - less grooming required!

Thanks for the info :)