Long Hair Kitty Doesn't Like To Be Brushed

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My long hair 10 year old kitty doesn't like to be brushed but needs to be. I've tried treats and being ever so gentle but I still have to chase her around the room. Any ideas how I can make it easier for both of us?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good for you! Try it, and keep in mind this will take time, when she's asleep. If she's like my Big Guy she will get sick and tired of you :), but don't give up. Also, if you don't have one already, try one of those shedding mitts - she might not mind the feeling of being petted as much as the brush/comb and you hopefully would be able to use the mitt as a starting point...
Does she have actual matted hair? If you can, in the meantime you'll want to get her to a groomer or a vet to have them clip those mats. Down the road, eventually you might be looking at trying to get those yourself with blunt-end scissors, again starting the whole entire process while she's asleep. Don't give up and thank you for being a caring cat person!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, she's tired of me. Might try the asleep thing. She doesnt have mats. My hubby is really good at gently cutting away little mats as she gets them. We tried the mits but they don't seem to get enough hair out. Thanks for the suggestions! She's our little (actually big) baby girl!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
both of you ROCK, that's awesome that between the two of you you're able to defeat the mats and are working on general fur upkeep. These longhair kitties have quite a job of it on their own!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a shower stall with a door you can try what I do and that is use this enclosure as the place to groom your cat. Because it is small and there is no place to run or hide, my cat will hold still for grooming. I bring in some treats for her which also helps distract her while I brush.

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm...never thought of that. Good idea. Thanks! Will let you know.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, if you don’t have one try a Furminator. It actually thins out the cats coat which reduces shedding and mats and it will also cut small ones out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, and to avoid static electricity buildup and/or sparks, use a damp cloth or paper towel to keep her fur a little damp, all during the brushing session ;)

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a shower stall with a door you can try what I do and that is use this enclosure as the place to groom your cat. Because it is small and there is no place to run or hide, my cat will hold still for grooming. I bring in some treats for her which also helps distract her while I brush.
Didn't try the shower but DID take her in the bathroom as it's pretty small and there's nowhere to go. Worked really good! Gave her some treats too. She still isn't crazy about it but it works!!