Long hair cats & Cat Litter Choices?

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,

I just got finished trimming matted hair and small clumps of poop off my cat's sacred area.  Usually he's pretty religious about cleaning down there.  

While he let me do it, I got to thinking perhaps it's the clumping litter that may cause issues?  

I've been using Purina Maxx Scoop clumping litter (either blue or grey containers) if that helps to know.   Should I try non-clumping litter?

Or,

How about using hair dresser clippers (with guard), to shave the back legs and under side a bit? 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I had a long-haired kitty, I always shaved the back end and that helps keep it more sanitary. Not too close though, just enough to keep the long hairs out of the litter. A groomer can do this for you if you are not sure how.

Non-clumping won't stick to the fur as much as clumping. If the hair get wet from the urine or gets pulling into the wet spot in the litter, then clumping litter will harden in the kitties fur. :slant: Some people use the kitty crystal litter for long-haired cats. I have never tried that litter so can't comment on how well it works.

I use Dr. Elsey's and just started using Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal. BUT - Dr. Elsey's would be better for long-haired cats because the litter pellets are larger than the other I mentioned. The smaller the size of the litter grain (sand like), the easier it will adhere to the fur. Hope this helps !! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes that does help thanks.  I wasn't even thinking about the grain size.

I think I'll take my cat to a groomer (or the Vet?) for a little hair cut.

I'll have a look at Dr.Elseys as well.

It was more or less matted fur and some bits of poop entangled in his hair. 

While I do brush him every couple weeks, obviously I've been neglecting his private area. 

42cattier

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a very long haired cat, at least at britches area (ragdoll). We went through several kinds of litter and cat refused to use anything than usual clumping clay-based litter, non-scented. Tthe cheap kind (Fresh Start here) is good enough. No problems, unless cat has loose stool occasionally or pee flows closer to foot, but this happens very rarely. In this case, local wash solves the problem.

Maybe lack of problems is due to non-matting kind of fur ragdolls have, but our previous grey cat, also long-haired in behind area, has no problem with usual clumping litter either, with washed and patting by paper towels afterward. Also we had temporarily a long haired brown tabby with a terribly matting fur, no problems with usual clumping litter either, no diarrhea though.

My cat had his chin shaved at vet clinic before surgery, they told that it was a fine clipper that could be used on cat without anesthesia. Judging from striping pattern, it was electrical/battery trimmer, not a blade, but I have strong suspicion that cat will not allow anything making noise to touch his guarded area.

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired cat and occasionally I find bits and pieces dragged out of the box on her tail.  A simple brush or comb takes care of that.  She must drag her tail in the litter when digging and then the wet stuff sticks.  But I've never had it sticking to her backside with either Dr Elsey's Precious Cat clay litter or their crystal litter.  You might want to ask your Vet if they could trim the backside of your cat - it would probably be easier.  Dr Elsey's makes a crystal litter for long haired cats and two other types of crystal litter, I can't imagine that crystal litter can stick to the fur, but you just never know.  Most of this depends on the cat and what type of digging they engage in.

chinamooon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI! My Basha is a very very long haired and bushy Himalayan and I  have changed the type of cat litter she uses several times in 10years.  She  keeps herself very clean and I do the same for her but these other litters are causing her coat to smell of litter powder (which I feel she can ingest when she licks her coat and her poop sticks to her backside, legs and tail which is becoming a total nightmare for Basha and mommy.  How many times are we suppose to take out the scissor and trimmer besides for her normal grooming?  F.Y.I., Basha had a Cover Issue  from birth. I was told by the Vet that the Cover Issue developed from the breeder keeping the newborn kittens in a bath tub where they could only scratch the bottom of the tub or sides of the tub giving the little kitties the impression they were cleaning up their mess. Such a shame. My Basha has always scratched the sides of the box like crazy causing me to laugh some times.

I read on a site  to use wood stove pellets. I am going to try this.  I am hoping this works.  I scoop every day and wash out the box (huge box as she is a very large cat) once every 3 weeks.  I am going to look for wood stove pellets on net.  I will follow up with results.