Long Hair Cat

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I adopted an old cat 5 months ago. She does not like to be hold, grooming or petting since I heard the very first owner abused her.

So after I adopted her I had difficult moments to make her feel that I am her friend and not enemy. And I posted in here and received nice and helpful comments. Now she is so nice with not only me but also with other flatmates.

Last week I saw a large clump of fur on her neck so I cut it (She bites me so badly :D ) . But during this week I saw more hair on the floor from that part of her neck and the part of her neck without hair seems larger than before.

I want to ask your idea.
PS. She is my first cat

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some of the hair you cut probably stuck to the surrounding hair and fell off later on. As long as there doesn't seem to be any irritation in that area, I'm sure it's fine :)

It'll take some patience to get her used to regular grooming, but once she's comfortable enough to let you brush her more often she shouldn't be getting any more mats like that.

Jackattack0101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are lots of different kinds of grooming tools you can use. My cat who has longer hair also used to get clumps around his face when I first adopted him because he didn't really like being brushed. I have a wire type brush and a softer brush and would hold out the brushes to him and he would rub his face on them and basically brush himself. With long haired cats, they definitely need a little extra help to prevent matting in their fur. Just do your best to make it a positive experience and I'm sure your kitty will learn to love it. My cat sure does now and my vacuum really appreciates it.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that it's important to try different grooming tools before giving up. My first cat loved being groomed, and was fine with a regular wire brush. I was surprised when I had a lot of difficulty getting my current cat to accept brushing. It turned out that the wire brush was too harsh for her-- we got a grooming glove and although she seems to find the glove a bit intimidating, she clearly prefers the rubber brush.

A bonus of the glove is that it protects your hand if you hit a tender spot and your kitty gets bite-y.

We also got a brush that you stuff with catnip and mount on a wall corner. She likes to rub up against the corner in the kitchen while I cook, and loved this new addition.

Good luck finding something that works!