Long distance move

ScubaSkater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am planning a move across the united states with my 2 cats. I got them a large (whole back seat of my car) soft crate and the vet prescribed acepromazine.
The trip will involve 2 nights in hotels. And I will bring their litter box with used but not soiled litter, because I heard that will make it easier.
Other than that I'm not really sure what to do to ease their and my stress.
So, I guess I'm looking for recommendations or tips from people who have had to move with cats.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start taking them for short rides before the actual trip, use the crate just like you are going to on the trip. One thing I do suggest is being extremely careful when putting into and taking out of the crate if the car door is open. A friend lost a cat like that. If you get them acclimated, you may not need the Acepromazine. My cats traveled quite a bit when I was showing them and other than when I took Lottie they would just meow for a few miles and then settle down. Lottie on the other had, thought she was an opera singer. In the hotel before you let them out of the crate, crawl around and look from a cats prospective. They can find holes in walls behind furniture (It happens), and some icky stuff like mouse bait (it also happens - even in upper end hotels). If the beds aren't solid to the floor or wall. just figure you are going to have to fish them out from behind the bed or under/in the box springs of the bed. One other thing, you may want to get Capstar from your vet since you are staying in hotels. If they allow pets, there is a chance of your cats picking up fleas. I also use bottled water while traveling for the cats. Lessens the chances of tummy upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ScubaSkater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I didn't even think of them catching fleas!! Those are all good tips!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Any bedding/towels/etc. with their scent on it will help both in the car and in the hotel rooms. And, use the food/water bowls they are accustomed to as well. It might be advisable to take a baby gate (or two, for double tiering) and use that to secure them in the bathroom as opposed to letting them possibly get into trouble roaming the entire hotel space, especially when you are sleeping. The gate(s) would allow them to see you/you them, instead of having to separate them behind a closed door.

Maybe there are some additional tips for you in this article? Traveling With Cats [Inc. 36 actionable tips]

eva adams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make your car as comfortable as possible for your cats. Bring blankets that smell of your cat and you. If you are making overnight stops at hotels, make sure to stay at pet-friendly places. Takedown your cat’s bowls and litter box (or a smaller travel-sized box) and set up the room. The cats will usually relax right into it. They don’t care if it’s a motel, it looks sort of like home, and they’re just grateful to be out of the car. The most important thing to keep in mind is your
pet’s safety. Never let your cat loose in the car. They can make unexpected leaps for an open window or crawl under foot pedals or jump on the driver unexpectedly, causing an accident. When you stop, have a spare set of keys so you can leave your vehicle running when you leave it. Never leave an animal in a vehicle without heat or a/c. I hope you and your feline friends have a fun, comfortable trip.

nomeowing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I drove across the united states with three cats. It wasn't fun but you can get through it. Safety is paramount. If I had to open their cages in the back seat for any reason (like clean up in the box) I did so with all the car doors closed reaching back from the front seat. I had a car not a sedan. I don't know if you plan to sneak them into the hotel or let them know you have pets with you. My experience they will put you in a smoking room (if they still have those) because they claim it's an "allergy" thing. So that's awful if you don't smoke.

I never wanted to leave them in the hotel alone so I brought food in with me. Even if it was just crackers or chips or junk.

possiepurrs above had some great advice. I wonder if you can leave them out only while you monitor and then put them back in their crates when you go to sleep. It's been over 25 years since I made that trip and all those kitties are gone now of coarse. I don't remember all the details. Do expect it to be stressful. I don't think it can be anything else but again, you can all get through it.