Long Distance Flight With Cat

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometime next year my husband and I are planning on traveling to Europe to visit family and as the overthinker that I am, I'm already worried what to do with Marx then.

We'll probably be gone for a month so I could either put him in a catary or bring him along. I'm guessing that both options would be very stressful for him, but I'm trying to figure out what would be the lesser evil.

We'll be flying from China to Croatia which last time took 22 hours and 3 different flights. I'm thinking on bringing him into the cabin with us.

Has anyone experience with long distance flights with cats? Did you use any sedatives to make it easier on the cat? How did they take it?

Honestly, all advise will be appreciated because even if we don't take him along on the trip, at one point we'll move out of China so he'll have to endure the flight because I'm not leaving my baby behind :D

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You're currently living in China?

Although this has other info that doesn't apply there are still some good tips;
Traveling With Cats

I wouldn't take him on the trip. The repeated altitude changes, the types of water changes from location to location, the always changing smells and sounds, it will all be so chaotic and confusing for him.

A cattery will be stressful to a degree but not with all the added constant situational and environmental changes that your cat will have to deal with during the trip.

When you eventually move, hopefully there will be more airlines with more direct flights.