Long Distance Car Rides

typicalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend and I are moving to a different state. We currently reside in NJ but we are moving down to SC. We have 3 adorable cats that we will be taking with us, i have purchased a dog crate and we have a cat carrier because one of our cats tends to get a little stressed so we'll leave him with his own cage. The ride down is about 12-13hrs. If anyone has traveled far before and could give me some advice that'd be great. My plan is to not feed them 12hrs before and give them limited water. My girlfriend wants to put a litter box in the car but I feel that will give them a reason to squat otherwise they'll just be sleeping, Thank you!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have traveled from Massachusetts to cat shows in North Carolina numerous times. I put the cats in a dog crate large enough for a litter box and a water bowl that hangs on the crate (just don't' fill it completely). I have an SUV so it is large enough for each cat to have their own crate. I would suggest getting them used to being in the car before you make the trip by taking them on short car rides in the crates. To reduce anxiety during the trip, talk to your vet about medications if needed. I would also cover the crate if the motion bothers them. As for the litter box - mine are used to using it in a crate because of being shown so using it in the car is no big deal. I just find a spot to pull of and shovel it. I wouldn't go 12 hours with out using the bathroom and I don't expect my cats to either.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Umm, that's 24 hours with no food, very little water and quite a bit of stress?

When you speak with your vet about calming products (there are also products available over the counter, in spray form, wipes, collars, treats, and some people suggest wiping the carrier with a product.) …please also double-check with your vet if that length of time without water and/or food is ok? In my opinion, it is not ok.

It would be good if you can think of them as three living creatures that are no different than human babies and that have natural, normal life requirements.

Here are some articles that may have helpful tips. They aren't long and are filled with info;

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Make Your Home And Garden Safe For Your Cat
36 Awesome Tips For Road Tripping With Your Cat
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide
Traveling With Cats
Household Chemicals And Your Cats
Cats And The Zen Of Remodeling

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I may be misunderstanding, but would the cats be going possibly 25 hours without food? (12 before and 13 car ride). If so, please reconsider that plan, as hepatic lipidosis (aka fatty liver) can begin within 24-48 hours of lack of food, and you can't be sure that your cats won't be too stressed to immediately start eating when they arrive at their new home.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?

I've never traveled with cats, but there's been some recent threads on the topic. Here's a few:
14 Hour Road Trip With Two Large Orange Tabbies
Summer Road Trip!!!
Moving Cross Country

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for clarifying, typicalcat typicalcat . I hope your car trip is smooth and uneventful.

I think the most important thing is to ensure your cats are securely locked in the crate every time you open the car doors.