Long Distance Car Ride Advice

jk15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
At the end of this month my husband and I, along with our 2 dogs and our 6 month old kitty will be moving from Colorado to Florida. It's about a 2 1/2 to 3 day drive, depending on how smooth the ride goes. I have already gotten a sedative from our vet just in case she gets too stressed. We have already gotten her used to car rides and she does great on our shorter trips. Looking for any advice on how to make it the least stressful for her. Also any tips on how to handle litter box would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You could get a large cloth carrier for the ride, which should be available at a local pet store. Then, you could just put a small litterbox in the carrier with your cat, along with a bed and some toys.

When you arrive at rest stops or small towns along the way, you can let your cat out of the carrier and play with her in the car. Or, if she's leash-and-harness trained, you can take her for a quick walk at that time. The opportunity for her to get some exercise in will help her get out some excess energy out so that she can be more relaxed during the long stretches of driving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jk15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the great advice! I have a crate large enough to put a litter box in so I'll give that a try!
I'm really wishing I would have harness trained her. I may just get one anyway to put it on her when we stop just as an extra safety precaution.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you please describe (and/or provide a link for) a cloth carrier? I didn't know that cat carriers can be made of cloth. Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Could you please describe (and/or provide a link for) a cloth carrier? I didn't know that cat carriers can be made of cloth. Thanks!
Here's an example: GoPetClub Soft-Sided Dog Crate, Brown, it says dog crate but it works for cats too. :)

They come in different sizes.

I think cloth carriers are a bit nicer for cats for longer trips, compared to plastic ones, because the cloth is more soft and comfortable.

kmsmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took our boy out for a few short car rides to get him used to it before we did a 5 hour drive and gradually let him out of his carrier so he could walk around. It only took 3 or 4 trips around the block until he was pretty comfortable (staring out the window a lot hah!).

Eventually we swapped the carrier for a booster seat / bed, that he can lie in and be able to see out the window

5 Best Cat Beds For Kittens & Adult Cats [Nov 2017]

It might not suit some cats but it made the whole trip so much easier not having him yelping the whole way and having to feel guilty.

Failing that though, abyeb is definitely right on cloth carriers being more comfortable.