Lonely Cat At Home :(

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I left my cat at home whilst I went abroad for an unavoidable family emergency. My stepdad lives at home too so she’s not alone but he’s not really a cat person. He just makes sure she eats and fills up her boa

My cousin is cleaning her litter tray and also cleaning her bowls and might give her some short attention but it’s every other day to be honest.

Now I’ve been told that my cat has been meowing quite a lot and seems quite lonely. When she thinks she’s alone, she cries out a lot even if people are inside but not near her despite her not knowing that fact. I imagine it’s separation anxiety?

I don’t know what I should do because I feel rather guilty. Is there anything they could do?

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Your cat will be fine. Mine was like this the first time we went away. We had a pet sitter come in twice per day.. I think she had anxiety the first time because she would do her business outside of her toilet and/or vomit but no big deal. They get a bit stressed but they get used to you being away quick enough, don't worry.
Best thing your family could do will be to maybe play with her and use up some energy which could help her sleep a bit more. Not sure if that's feasible..

But please don't worry. Cats are super resilient and she will get used to the situation. And will give you plenty of cuddles when you return I'm sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That gives me some comfort. It’s only been a week so far and I have 3 weeks to go so that adds to my worries.

How long did you go for at first?

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That gives me some comfort. It’s only been a week so far and I have 3 weeks to go so that adds to my worries.

How long did you go for at first?
10 days at first and honestly it felt like a lifetime! Everything you're feeling is completely normal. She was totally fine though and was very clingy for about a week after we returned. We have been away a lot more since then, even 3 weeks at one point but she was completely fine!

Your cat will settle in and will most likely spend the majority of her time sleeping!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have them play some music, there's MusicForCats . com, an app called Relax My Cat, or even classical harp music will help a cat to feel a bit more calm.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to all the great advice above - if you have any worn, unwashed clothing at home, ask your stepdad or your cousin to place a couple of them in areas where your cat likes to spend time. She will smell your scent and it might help to calm her a bit.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stepdad doesn't have to play with her just let her sit in the same room with him. That would help a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My either has visited and says she’s been clingy but fine to be honest. Same reports from family but they’ve been doing the things suggested.

Just under 2 weeks left