Lonely Bottle Baby

Should I adopt the kitten?

• Total voters

Lmiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning!

I rescued my little Houston at one day old when his mother left him behind to care for her two other kittens. I bottle fed him (reading lots and learning as I went), raised him, and he is now a year and a half. He is my entire world. My vet calls him "a bratty bottle baby" because he can play rough and always wants attention. But I am convinced that since I am all he knows in this world, he just sees me as his mother, food source, and only friend and playmate.

So here's the thing... When I rescued him there were at least 12 other cats and kittens on the property that I fed and cared for (fixed, shots, winter shelter, the works.. even got many of them adopted.) My Houston was forced to be a part time outside kitten (stupid boyfriend) and had lots of other kittens to snuggle up or play with. But everyday, without fail, he would be at my door crying and desperately trying to paw it down. For hours. If my heartless boyfriend was home Houston wasn't allowed in. Don't worry, I left him. Houston and I now live alone together on a farm. He is a strictly indoor cat. But he is also without his kitten friends.

But whenever I leave, even if it is only for a minute to run to my car, he cries. Anywhere from 5-10 mins. And as soon as I walk in the door he runs over and greets me extremely affectionately. He cuddles with me whenever he isn't running around like a maniac playing with his favorite toys. Sometimes his play gets rough and he "attacks" my arms or legs like he would to another kitten. It hurts me and I hate scolding him, but it hurts.

I think he's desperately lonely. I am a commuting college student and gone for long periods of time.

HERE'S MY QUESTION (In case you don't want to read my wordy history) I found a woman who rescues and raises bottle babies and finds them good homes. She has a beautiful 6 mo orange female kitten. Should I adopt her? I'm afraid that Houston will be overly protective of me, or that our amazing relationship will change. But maybe that's a good thing? Maybe I'm being selfish and he should have another cat to latch onto instead of me? Thoughts?

Thank you!
Leah & Houston

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of him!

I would actually recommend that you don’t adopt another bottle baby. If you were to add to the family, I’d look for a cat with socialization from other cats. It sounds like Houston needs some help with manners and being a cat, which another bottle baby will also struggle with.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think talkingpeanut is right. About the affecting your relationship part, he might be different for a short while (because of the stress of having another cat home or because he is excited to play like a cat with a cat) but that will not stay like that. So if you are patient it should be good. I would also consider making good things happen wheneer you leave: like putting a video for cat, giving him a food puzle ect... the goal is that the prospect of you leaving is not as bad for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lmiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both! I have many interactive toys and food puzzles for him. I try to associate my leaving with good things. I will start looking for other kitties to add to our family, I never considered another bottle baby to be an issue, but now that you mentioned it it makes complete sense.
Thank you for your input its very helpful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lmiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lavishsqualor that made me laugh so hard! Thank you for the smile :p