Lola learned how to JUMP!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am beyond thrilled, I've spent all night working with Lola, trying so hard to teach her how to jump up on things. She can finally jump up on this one desk - nothing else, but man - she can jump!

May be a stupid thing to teach a cat, to jump on the desk, but for a cat who has never been out of a cage until a few weeks ago - never knew freedom - this is huge!

She's so funny to watch, gauging the distance, if she can make it, etc.
Very cautious for an un-coordinated cat!

http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt269/whitecatlover/Cats/?action=view&current=LolacanJUMP.flv

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's neat, Nat!! She's learning all the things she has been deprived of until now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhh....the things that make me happy.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww sweet Lola - it reminds me of how Smudge jumps up on things. Even now with things she knows she does the hesitate, turn in circles, stand up like a meerkat thing

I love that Dory comes over to cheer her on too

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright gogo Lola!!!

So cool that she is learning these things. She reminds me a bit of EG when we first got him. He knew how to jump, but he was deprived of his mommy at 4 weeks so me and Isie had to teach him a lot cat stuff..

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go LOLA!!!

(If this doesn't call for a Blob Party, nothing does!)

What's funny to me is that while she's gauging how high it is and everything, I'm cheering her on and encouraging her. "It's OK baby. You can do it! Jump, Lola, jump!" Even though I know that she does jump in the video or you wouldn't have posted it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Go LOLA!!!

(If this doesn't call for a Blob Party, nothing does!)

What's funny to me is that while she's gauging how high it is and everything, I'm cheering her on and encouraging her. "It's OK baby. You can do it! Jump, Lola, jump!" Even though I know that she does jump in the video or you wouldn't have posted it.
I hadn't even read this post, and there I was - "you can do it Lola! Jump, Lola, Jump!"

WTG Nat - and Lola!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dare I hope that little bulb came on over her head? I'm seeing some major problem solving skills. If I step in front of her, she stops & moves around my legs - rather than running into them! And when I opened the stair door, I didn't have to poke, prod, & coax her down the stairs - she ran down them of her own free will ahead of me!

that this keeps up! It's good to see her being a kitty!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would guess the hardest thing for her is to relate a surface she can't see to what she CAN see from the ground.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Bless her heart!

When Whisper first came into our house, she was scared to death to jump on any furniture. We think the other people may have beaten her or something to make her so frightened of getting on furniture. Whisper would only sleep on a rug inside the kitchen door.

That lasted....oh, about a month or so. Fourteen years later, Whisper has become the "resident hump in the bed". She sleeps anywhere she wants to....because she can. And she knows it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I would guess the hardest thing for her is to relate a surface she can't see to what she CAN see from the ground.
I'm sure of it. It's neat to watch a cat measure the distance to an unfamiliar surface. We watched our RB boy Gryphon fog out the distance from the porch railing (normal height, 3 inches wide) to the divider between our porch and the neighbour's (roof height, 2 inches wide). It involved stretching himself, along the porch railing, and then up the divider, pondering -- and then he just did it as if he'd done it a zillion times before, which we knew he had not (he never did again either -- his curiosity had been satisfied). It was a beauty to behold. Watching Lola reminded me of that day.

Sounds as if Lola really has made a breakthrough about what she believes she can do -- watch out, soon the world will be her oyster, and she'll be unstoppable.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Way to go, Lola!! I pray this is only the beginning of many jumps for her!

She's got a magnificent tail, too, btw!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What a great accomplishment.
Now that Much is getting older, it is interesting watching her calculate distances that she used to not even think about.