Lizard hunting

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missy is a notorious lizard hunter in the neigborhood (I'm living in Belgium). She spends hours spotting them and occasionally catches one. I've never seen her eating a lizard. She will always try to bring them into the house.

IMG_3974.JPG

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked it up to find out what kinds of critters live in this area but there is only one species of true lizard where I am but it is rare. There are several species of salamander and skink but Casper would never see them because, aside from being a house cat, those creatures all live near water and the nearest running stream is over a mile away.

Casper’s Girl-Human says that her family cat used to catch lizards where she lived but, mostly, he’d just barf up the tails. Ick! :nervous:

It’d be nice if Casper could have something to chase like that.

He needs more exercise...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ichthysaur

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Missy is a notorious lizard hunter in the neigborhood (I'm living in Belgium). She spends hours spotting them and occasionally catches one. I've never seen her eating a lizard. She will always try to bring them into the house.

View attachment 349382
That's a great picture!

Ichthysaur

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's Jasper with the lizard he caught clinging to his paw in a futile attempt to delay the inevitable. It used to freak Molly out when they did that. She'd drop dead until we got the lizard off of her. But he was pretty matter-of-fact about it. Scooter, the rat trap kitten is back in the laundry room being distracted by its tail.

Attachments

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of our cats will catch and eats the gray ones. The blue striped ones don't get a second look. They've each eaten one of blue ones...as far as I know, and thrown it up a few hours later.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
All of our cats will catch and eats the gray ones. The blue striped ones don't get a second look. They've each eaten one of blue ones...as far as I know, and thrown it up a few hours later.
Small consolation for those blue ones. “Oh, yay. The cats didn’t think I tasted good. Oh, wait. I’m dead.” At least future blue stripeys are safe because of their buddies’ sacrifice. :lol:

Ichthysaur

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Small consolation for those blue ones. “Oh, yay. The cats didn’t think I tasted good. Oh, wait. I’m dead.” At least future blue stripeys are safe because of their buddies’ sacrifice. :lol:
Molly tried to eat one of the stripey ones just once. I cannot express how pleasant and charming it was to clean up.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lizard family. Today 3 little ones on my porch. The adults are out hunting for ants with them. They retract thier throat bright red and hug when they mate
20200903_180314.jpg

They are multiplying because some look older
1599189169181_1599189167158_1599189164171_20200903_175908.jpg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is in love with a tee frog! Lol She won’t allow frog or lizards to be eaten by others. Actually good since lizards carry lizard Flukes. We have lots of lizards and frogs here. The blue striped slinks are definitely going to make a cat throw up. The red headed ones as well. Have you ever seen what happens to a dog that licks a toad? Foaming at the mouth! Toad protection mechanism and it works really well. Blah! Bright colors in nature sometimes indicate ,”don’t eat me!” Lol Banjo does kiss her frog through the glass. She thinks he’ll turn into a Prince. If the frog comes in, she guards him from the other cats. She grew up as a feral so I guess her mother must have taught her to hunt but also told her bedtime stories. Lol
2E54FBF1-4386-4A99-8D5F-488EE7F39B5B.jpeg
C5DD3A0A-509E-490A-97C8-440201E1302E.jpeg
4DA3253B-732C-4849-A680-CAE56CC60E3E.jpeg

Maybe this is just a very special frog! :lol:
5E0AF731-9050-4A0B-887D-7AD972001034.jpeg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Bring her over here! I feed tons of wild birds and occasionally get a stray cat. They would feast on them. Lizards are usually in the evening when there's less birds and ants are still out. They're smart!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually did a little research about brown anole. The little ones are called hatchlings. They are territorial, though they seem to be living together. Once hatchlings are born they are independent though that doesnt seem right

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is in love with a tee frog! Lol She won’t allow frog or lizards to be eaten by others. Actually good since lizards carry lizard Flukes. We have lots of lizards and frogs here. The blue striped slinks are definitely going to make a cat throw up. The red headed ones as well. Have you ever seen what happens to a dog that licks a toad? Foaming at the mouth! Toad protection mechanism and it works really well. Blah! Bright colors in nature sometimes indicate ,”don’t eat me!” Lol Banjo does kiss her frog through the glass. She thinks he’ll turn into a Prince. If the frog comes in, she guards him from the other cats. She grew up as a feral so I guess her mother must have taught her to hunt but also told her bedtime stories. LolView attachment 349695View attachment 349698View attachment 349699
Maybe this is just a very special frog! :lol:
View attachment 349700
Princess and the frog!