Liver In Cat Food

Kim8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats won't eat anything with liver in it and it is next to impossible to find a cat food without liver. Since the purpose of the liver is to filter out toxins, why do they put liver in cat food? In order for it to be safe the animals whose livers are used must have eaten foods without any pesticides, hormones etc.... and I'm fairly certain that is not the case. I understand that there are great vitamins in liver, but if it also comes with a large toxic load....
Does anyone know of a commercial canned cat food that doesn't include liver?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of the Weruva foods do not have liver, such as Paw Lickin Chicken which is shreds of chicken in gravy. Soulistic, made by the same company as Weruva, likely also has a few foods without liver.

Nature's Variety LID duck doesn't have liver. The other varieties do.

Seafood only based canned foods do not contain liver. But seafood isn't good to feed all the time. The seafood / meat foods often do contain liver.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kim8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some of the Weruva foods do not have liver, such as Paw Lickin Chicken which is shreds of chicken in gravy. Soulistic, made by the same company as Weruva, likely also has a few foods without liver.

Nature's Variety LID duck doesn't have liver. The other varieties do.

Seafood only based canned foods do not contain liver. But seafood isn't good to feed all the time. The seafood / meat foods often do contain liver.
Thanks for the info! I had gone through most of the varieties at Petsmart, and the only canned food I could find without liver was the Blue Wilderness kitten food. The salmon kitten food has liver, as does many other seafood (in name) only canned foods for both cats and kittens. I imagine I can find the foods you mention online and will certainly check them out. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats like liver, but I think it may be causing explosive diarrhea for one of my kitties. I bought a couple of cans of Wellness 95 Chicken and Salmon and Blue Limited Ingredients Duck to test this theory.

We have restrictions because both my cats get sick with any type of red meat. I'd rather not feed fish and my cats don't like it anyway. I try pushing more duck and turkey recipes but my cats prefer chicken. So, basically, we have to stick with a fowl diet, mostly chicken. And chicken recipes usually have a liver.

I came to my liver theory because I noticed the diarrhea was at its worst when I fed FF Chicken and Liver and Wellness Chicken Grain Free Pate. The latter is the lifelong favorite of my cats. Its second ingredient is liver.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
While we as humans might think liver is gross, in the wild cats will eat the internal organs first. That's why cats often leave the carcus of a bird disemboweled (sorry for the visual nature is cruel)
It's got lots of nutrients in it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
While we as humans might think liver is gross, in the wild cats will eat the internal organs first. That's why cats often leave the carcus of a bird disemboweled (sorry for the visual nature is cruel)
It's got lots of nutrients in it.
Also since internal organs are often the byproduct of the food industry they can make it more affordable for the consumer to purchase.