Liver failure - is she hungry, stressed or just uncomfortable?

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with liver failure. Her vet said the values they tested were very, very high when we found out. Her gums were, and still are VERY yellow from jaundice. We put her on some meds to help regulate things, which has helped for a few months. Suddenly she's always on her special Food Chair asking for food. She used to eat 1/2 - 1 can of wet food a day (fancy feast classic as suggested by the vet) now she's eating up to 3 a day. I don't see her at the regular food dish, so I'm not sure if it's actual hunger or comfort eating. There is a LOT of stress in the house right now as well - my husband died at the end of last month, and I'm unexpectedly moving this month. I can't get her into the vet for about two weeks due to my funds being tied up in the move... Is there anything I can do for her? Is there a way to track down what's bothering her? I'm worried her liver/jaundice is getting worse and she's starving to death. :(

I'm looking into most likely having her put down soon, but between the funeral, moving costs, and a household member losing their job I'm tapped out for at least two weeks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your husband, and all that you are going through right now. Could the meds she is on be causing her to be hungrier? Usually, when liver issues escalate, inappetence and nausea are more likely. So, the fact that she wants to eat more might be from the meds - and, perhaps the overall stress on your home. From what little I know, smaller more frequent meals are a better way to go with a cat who has liver problems, so maybe feed her more often and see if that helps any? Under the circumstances, is there any reason not to let her eat more if that is what she wants to do? You can also call the vet just to let them know what is going on in case they have some suggestions for you.

rootb33r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles - the only thing I might recommend is if she's acting hungry but not really eating, I found baby food (pure chicken or beef, nothing with onions or other things in the ingredients) would often go down well. It seems like the consistency and flavor is palatable to them even when they may not feel very well.

If she's actually eating 3 cans of food a day and not just acting hungry but not really eating, I might just let her eat whatever makes her happy if she's in the latter stages of organ failure. Only 1 can of fancy feast (3oz?) a day does seem a bit low even for a small cat. 2 I think is a little more common, 3 is maybe on the high side but if hey, if it makes her happy...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your husband, and all that you are going through right now. Could the meds she is on be causing her to be hungrier? Usually, when liver issues escalate, inappetence and nausea are more likely. So, the fact that she wants to eat more might be from the meds - and, perhaps the overall stress on your home. From what little I know, smaller more frequent meals are a better way to go with a cat who has liver problems, so maybe feed her more often and see if that helps any? Under the circumstances, is there any reason not to let her eat more if that is what she wants to do? You can also call the vet just to let them know what is going on in case they have some suggestions for you.
I wouldn't think it would be the meds. She's been on them for a few months now. She pees regularly, not sure about poop. I haven't seen any vomit either, luckily. Just the occasional hairball from a different cat. I try to feed her several times a day when she asks for it. No more than about two tablespoons at a time. She's a picky eater. Half the time she insists on using her paw to pick at the food and then lick her paw. Sigh.

If it's stress, can I do anything for her until we move? I move Friday, house or not. I have someone willing to take them so they're not homeless though. She's still a fairly active old girl or is confine her to one area of the house.

It would be a relief if it's not her liver getting worse! The last thing I want is her in pain. She's a paranoid cat but super sweet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Half the time she insists on using her paw to pick at the food and then lick her paw. Sigh.
If this is not entirely new behavior, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Feeby (going on 16+) does this with her water!
If it's stress, can I do anything for her until we move? I move Friday, house or not. I have someone willing to take them so they're not homeless though. She's still a fairly active old girl or is confine her to one area of the house.
For one, try to calm yourself down (I know, very, very hard). You can try some soothing music for yourself; she might like that too. Feliway diffusers work on some cats to help calm them as well. When and where ever you move, she needs all of her possessions taken with her, and because it will be a new place she should be confined to a small area initially with her possessions. If you can't be there with her all the time, take some of your worn, but unwashed clothing to leave with her as well.

Maybe some helpful tips for you in these TCS articles?
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment – TheCatSite Articles

EDIT: If she is eating in a different location/placement than normal, that also might have something to do with her using her paw to pick up food.

Last edited:

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'll start with stress and see if that's the cause. She seems better tonight, I think. I feel terrible for her. We're moving once, then moving again in a month. I took a bunch of blankets out of storage and put them on the cats favorite sleeping spots for smells. They're going to go from a huge house/yard to indoor apartment cats sigh.

She's always been a weirdly picky eater. She spends 20 minutes eating her food with her paw while looking paranoid. We just accept that she's unique.

I'm trying to stay calm for the little monsters, which I hope helps. After voicing my worries and getting feedback I'm more included to lean towards stress. Which helps a TON. There's enough going on without worrying about a super sick kitty.

Now to keep an eye on the other cat and panic that he's so skinny. I'm pretty sure it's because our neighbor put their cat's good indoors. After the chaos of losing basically everything in one month I'm a bit paranoid. At least he's making himself useful and eating the food my sick kitty refuses to touch again.

Thank you for being a soundingboard! Now that I think about it I definitely think she's just stressed. Doesn't help that we had to pack the shelf she used to sleep on all the time. She was up there for hours a day until we moved it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a place to start anyway! Keep us posted, and ask all the questions you want along the way! We may not have all the answers, but we will be as much support as we can for you and your cats. (Make sure that shelf goes with her, if you can!)

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a place to start anyway! Keep us posted, and ask all the questions you want along the way! We may not have all the answers, but we will be as much support as we can for you and your cats. (Make sure that shelf goes with her, if you can!)
Got one better than the shelf! She has a box up there she sleeps in. Like, a literal box. It came as an insert to something years ago. It has holes cut in at just the right height for her paws. She adopted it one day and never looked back. The box is coming with us and bring put in a special spot JUST for her. We always put it somewhere high for her so she's not in house traffic or being bullied by other cats. As long as she has her box, she's cool.

I'll keep y'all posted when I can get her back to the vet. I just found out I ALSO have to hire a professional piano mover to move a piano up six steps. Expensive! I reallllllly hope it's just stress for her. *Crosses fingers* I found her at the normal food dish pigging out earlier, which is a good sign! (They're on healthy food so it's okay)

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah ha! Kitty isn't hungry anymore. I switched Rachel Ray (vet suggested for the overweight blubber cats) to Purina One temporary since that's what the store had. Kitty has been sighted several times porking it down. Now she won't touch her huge stockpile of expensive canned cat food. I take that as a good sign. I also had a "duh!!" Moment when I mentioned her box. I thought about it and realized she doesn't have HER space anymore. So I shoved a bunch of packed boxes in a very inconvenient place for me to build a tower. I even used more boxes to build steps. She's happily parked in it.

Now that I've voiced everything it makes SENSE! Such a huge relief to know she's not in pain from her liver. You all are serious life savers! :)

I guess the super skinny cat just earned two cases of canned cat food, and all the fat blubber cats are switching to Purina. Luckily he's beyond obsessed with it. He's really struggling since the neighbor cat's owner took "his" food away to feed THEIR cat. I'm seriously tempted to ask what it is they're feeding their cat...