Little guy is aggressive with us and our doggo

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
So we adopted this new little guy.. he's around 4 months old,we do not know exactly as he's from the streets.
He's very small and cute and eats a lot lol
Issue is,he is aggressive. He attacks us and our dog. Our doggo is afraid of him and runs away from him. He attacks our doggo, and even jumps on doggo to bite him.
Little cat,we named him Diego, so Diego doesn't look afraid of our doggo or us. He is separated when we aren't home so he can't hurt our doggo. When we are at home, he's let out to roam in the entire house. At first he's playful for a little while,he plays but then he becomes aggressive out of nowhere. He doesn't like to be held, he doesn't like petting either. Only time he likes to be pet is when he's separated. He's good health wise.
Issue is I can manage Diego attacking us, but it is not OK he goes straight to attack our doggo. Our doggo is a senior with heart issues, he really likes Diego and tries to go closer to him but ends up running away every time because Diego keeps hurting him :(
This breaks my heart. Anyone has any idea why is this happening ? Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, can I ask, what breed is the dog?

You have an extremely energetic kitten, which is completely normal. You could consider getting another kitten for Diego to play with, because that's what is needed. This isn't intentionally being mean in the kitten's mind. It is how kittens learn to be a cat.

Time will help as Diego matures and the over-abundance of energy begins to decrease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise

You have an extremely energetic kitten, which is completely normal. You could consider getting another kitten for Diego to play with, because that's what is needed. This isn't intentionally being mean in the kitten's mind. It is how kittens learn to be a cat.

Time will help as Diego matures and the over-abundance of energy begins to decrease.
Hi! Yes, our doggo is a yorkshire terrier, he's a senior with heart failure :( he's very slow and chill. He would love to get closer to Diego but for now it really is impossible unfortunately.
I hope you are right and that its really not intentional from Diego. He looks like he wants to hunt our doggo

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Diego does something bad - like the instant he attacks puppy -- hiss at him. Practice hissing away from him, it takes a bit to get it loud enough and it will startle you that you sort of spit. This tells Diego in his mother's words that attacking puppy isn't permitted. It will also work if you do it the moment Diego digs his teeth into you. It might work with clawing. This should keep him from accidently hurting puppy. Pup's skin is tighter than cat's so more likely to tear, though less likely than yours is.

Our cat was mad for attacking me several times a day. She was 5 weeks old when we got her, an only cat, her family gone. She spent a year attacking me, shaking a can with pennies in it - didn't work, turning a glass of water over on her (I had it in my hand) didn't work. saying no didn't work, yelping that works so well with dogs - nope. One hiss and she threw herself back from my foot and never bit me again. She will tap on me with her lips pulled back and her teeth closed, but that's it.

Once the biting is controlled odds are Diego will smack doggo but the claws will be retracted. Small kittens can't retract their claws, but Diego should be able to now.

The rest, the manic nature will continue and possibly increase until he's 1.5 or 2.5 years. For now, you need to put everything that can break if dropped, and everything that can hurt doggo if dropped on him (I'm thinking vases, book ends (replace heavy ones with the ones like the library has) bric-a-brac away in boxes. When Diego is 3 years you can bring it out again.

You may want to keep your closet door shut all the time. Diego will try to climb your clothes to check out the shelf. Many garments can't survive this.

Curtains will also be climbed. I suggest getting dowel rods and using long hooks to suspend them over your windows. Hang the curtains on these. Diego will knock several down, however the balanced dowel rods will fall and dump the curtains on him before he can shred them. Mine learned in two cascades of curtains to leave them alone.

The best thing you can do for doggo, your furniture, your skin, your sanity, is get another cat of the same age. They will wrestle with each other. They will learn on each other that biting and clawing hurts. Let's be real here, you're not going to bite Diego to teach him biting hurts. Still put up the bric=a-brac.

It really is much much easier with two than one. I didn't believe it until we got our last cat who was the first only cat.

Be sure doggo has a safe place Diego can't go. Have you considered building a door of two maybe three child gates to let them see each other since doggo wants to be friends, but not touch yet?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi.
So we adopted this new little guy.. he's around 4 months old,we do not know exactly as he's from the streets.
He's very small and cute and eats a lot lol
Issue is,he is aggressive. He attacks us and our dog. Our doggo is afraid of him and runs away from him. He attacks our doggo, and even jumps on doggo to bite him.
Little cat,we named him Diego, so Diego doesn't look afraid of our doggo or us. He is separated when we aren't home so he can't hurt our doggo. When we are at home, he's let out to roam in the entire house. At first he's playful for a little while,he plays but then he becomes aggressive out of nowhere. He doesn't like to be held, he doesn't like petting either. Only time he likes to be pet is when he's separated. He's good health wise.
Issue is I can manage Diego attacking us, but it is not OK he goes straight to attack our doggo. Our doggo is a senior with heart issues, he really likes Diego and tries to go closer to him but ends up running away every time because Diego keeps hurting him :(
This breaks my heart. Anyone has any idea why is this happening ? Thank you!
I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom ,another kitten may help. It could be your kitten is taking out his anger on you. Multiple reasons why the dog might upset him.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Diego does something bad - like the instant he attacks puppy -- hiss at him. Practice hissing away from him, it takes a bit to get it loud enough and it will startle you that you sort of spit. This tells Diego in his mother's words that attacking puppy isn't permitted. It will also work if you do it the moment Diego digs his teeth into you. It might work with clawing. This should keep him from accidently hurting puppy. Pup's skin is tighter than cat's so more likely to tear, though less likely than yours is.

Our cat was mad for attacking me several times a day. She was 5 weeks old when we got her, an only cat, her family gone. She spent a year attacking me, shaking a can with pennies in it - didn't work, turning a glass of water over on her (I had it in my hand) didn't work. saying no didn't work, yelping that works so well with dogs - nope. One hiss and she threw herself back from my foot and never bit me again. She will tap on me with her lips pulled back and her teeth closed, but that's it.

Once the biting is controlled odds are Diego will smack doggo but the claws will be retracted. Small kittens can't retract their claws, but Diego should be able to now.

The rest, the manic nature will continue and possibly increase until he's 1.5 or 2.5 years. For now, you need to put everything that can break if dropped, and everything that can hurt doggo if dropped on him (I'm thinking vases, book ends (replace heavy ones with the ones like the library has) bric-a-brac away in boxes. When Diego is 3 years you can bring it out again.

You may want to keep your closet door shut all the time. Diego will try to climb your clothes to check out the shelf. Many garments can't survive this.

Curtains will also be climbed. I suggest getting dowel rods and using long hooks to suspend them over your windows. Hang the curtains on these. Diego will knock several down, however the balanced dowel rods will fall and dump the curtains on him before he can shred them. Mine learned in two cascades of curtains to leave them alone.

The best thing you can do for doggo, your furniture, your skin, your sanity, is get another cat of the same age. They will wrestle with each other. They will learn on each other that biting and clawing hurts. Let's be real here, you're not going to bite Diego to teach him biting hurts. Still put up the bric=a-brac.

It really is much much easier with two than one. I didn't believe it until we got our last cat who was the first only cat.

Be sure doggo has a safe place Diego can't go. Have you considered building a door of two maybe three child gates to let them see each other since doggo wants to be friends, but not touch yet?
Thank you very much!
So far we've been telling him no! And "auch". With this, he stops biting , but then starts again.
They are kept separated since letting Diego near our dog doesn't end well. At first , the first 5-10 minutes are OK. They are playing or not really caring about each other. But then its like my dog is laying on the floor and Diego attacks him as he sees our dog.
I'll try hissing and also looking for another cat.
Biggest issue is, they didn't have a mother. I mean he and his sisters-brothers were street cats in tha way that they were separated and thrown out on to the streets. The man who found them had to bottle feed them all, so they were very little :( so when he finished with bottle feeding and they started eating alone he put them up for adoption.
I am sure it is bad for him that they did not have their mother.
He's been here with us for a while now and I was hoping his behaviour will change for the better slowly ,but nope.
By now he doesn't let us to pet or hold him exception if it's feeding time,then he's a little angel :gingercat2:

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom ,another kitten may help. It could be your kitten is taking out his anger on you. Multiple reasons why the dog might upset him.
I can't see my sick dog upset him,they are never left together, only if we are home and we can see them. And these times when they are let together, my dog rarely initiates contact because Diego attacks him constantly, even when he's laying and sleeping :(
I'm not sure, can't really find a reason on him upsetting Diego when he doesn't do anything really :/ except if Diego doesn't like dogs or us.
Our previous cat was also young when we adopted him but he was so different and calm and peaceful. He was our first cat and now Diego is the second but Diego is different totally.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm not sure how it works works them, but would Diego accept another cat like this ? 😅

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
could be anger, but kittens play to gain the skills they need as adults which are hunting and fighting. I should mention that when I hissed at bitie-bite and she threw herself away from my foot (which she was biting) she turned and bit her own tail. She screamed. Then never bit me again. I don't think she had the faintest idea that being bitten hurt before that. How could she? No one had bitten her.

Yes, the odds of Diego accepting another cat his age are about 99.99%. Everything in his mind and body tell him to practice fighting, wrestling, hunting -- in short all cat play -- because if he doesn't get it right he will not survive. A lot of the problems are from not having a mom and leaving siblings too early. But having bottle fed two kittens, at separate times much less four, the man who rescued them was getting almost no, and I mean maybe two hours sleep for several weeks, He did well. Diego can and will learn. Kittens are learning beasts.

Keep in mind, Diego loves your doggo. He just plays hard and gets carried away. Remember he's a small child, getting carried away is part of the way young things learn.

It will be all right, but it will take what you feel is a Loooooooooooooong time. Think of small human children, think of little boys playing, remember when you played and how it was hard to remember all your mom's rules or even hear her when she called you in.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just adding, I'm not saying let Diego play with doggo just because Diego wants and needs to play, nope. Doggo is retired and must have his own place away from Diego, one of the main reasons for getting Diego a kitten to play with. As my vet said when I was considering a new pet when I had an elderly dog, "Don't get a kitten or a puppy, Most 85-year-olds really aren't up to toddlers."

I was all set to follow his directions when our current singleton turned up at 5 weeks old. Our doggo didn't play with her or cuddle with her, leaving that to us, but she did teach her things this cat still follows 10 years later. No, we didn't get the new kitten a kitten, as I had in the past when a new kitten arrived. This is how I have experience to back up my advice. (Shudder, that sounded terrible, but take my advice as gently meant.)

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just adding, I'm not saying let Diego play with doggo just because Diego wants and needs to play, nope. Doggo is retired and must have his own place away from Diego, one of the main reasons for getting Diego a kitten to play with. As my vet said when I was considering a new pet when I had an elderly dog, "Don't get a kitten or a puppy, Most 85-year-olds really aren't up to toddlers."

I was all set to follow his directions when our current singleton turned up at 5 weeks old. Our doggo didn't play with her or cuddle with her, leaving that to us, but she did teach her things this cat still follows 10 years later. No, we didn't get the new kitten a kitten, as I had in the past when a new kitten arrived. This is how I have experience to back up my advice. (Shudder, that sounded terrible, but take my advice as gently meant.)
Thank you really a lot !!!! I will try my best ! I know Diego has a kind soul, he's a very cute baby cat and things will be okay. Thank you for all the advice!!!!!
20230721_170450.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
To reiterate, I also don't see one bit of anger here. This is simply a kitten being a kitten, and I guarantee his energy levels will last for a while longer.

To expect otherwise is not accepting Diego for him being exactly what he is, and because you got him off the streets, if I understood that correctly, you've given him the opportunity to do just that in a safe environment.

When your dog is feeling overwhelmed, try just removing the dog from the situation and giving the kitten something else, such as that toy in the photo.

Last edited:

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
T
To reiterate, I also don't see one bit of anger here. This is simply a kitten being a kitten, and I guarantee his energy levels will last for a while longer.

To expect otherwise is not accepting Diego for him being exactly what he is, and because you got him off the streets, if I understood that correctly, you've given him the opportunity to do just that in a safe environment.

When your dog is feeling overwhelmed, try just removing the dog from the situation and giving the kitten something else, such as that goy in the photo.
Thank you!!!
Diego has calmer times , I am sure he's going to be a really good cat, he is very smart already! He just needs to grow up healthy and leave the bad behaviour :biggrin: I understand now.
He's our second indoor cat and he is a lot different than Luke was :angel:

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The question is how long has kitty been in the home? If he is a street kitty it's going to take time. That is a frustrating statement I know yet kitty has to get use to everything and everyone. Sometimes it takes a good hot min. Kittens will be kittens too.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
The question is how long has kitty been in the home? If he is a street kitty it's going to take time. That is a frustrating statement I know yet kitty has to get use to everything and everyone. Sometimes it takes a good hot min. Kittens will be kittens too.
1 month!
I am sure it's more difficult with street cats let alone if they are entirely healthy!!
Luke was a street cat too but really had a different personality :biggrin:

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Coco was but probably for one day. She was a stray kitten,disappeared for a yr,then showed up on my porch rubbing against the window. He is one lucky kitty!
Aaaaww that's so nice she came back !!!!!