Little Gizmo

cleosmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the past two years or so, I have been feeding a little white and brown feral cat. She was clearly a runt, but an athletic one; we used to see her on the roof of our house quite regularly. She had a strange little face, so our first name for her was basically "The Weird-Faced Cat." My husband said she looked like a gremlin, so I started calling her Gizmo. 

So, as I said, I started feeding her. And I made a little shelter for her year before last when it got cold. This spring, she finally decided to let me pet her. She wouldn't let me do it all of the time, but every now and then she would trot up to me, angle her back end towards me, and let me scratch the sweet spot in front of her tail. This summer, when I would sit on the deck, she would sidle up to me and lean against my back. She would sleep on the driveway and in an old concrete planter and wherever else she wanted to.

To my great sadness, my husband came home last Tuesday to find her dead in the driveway. It seems the neighbor's dog had gotten out, and following its nature, killed her. It has been very hard for me. I was accustomed to feeding all of the cats (Cleo and Dustin inside and Gizmo outside) each morning and evening. Gizmo would frequently tell me she was hungry by looking in the french doors to the living room. She was a sweet, tiny cat, with a funny personality, and I keep thinking of how scared she must have been when the dog attacked her. It's been hard, and I wish I could say it was getting easier, but it isn't. I miss that little face at the window, and I miss feeding her. It just seems so unfair that she lived through everything else for three or more years but couldn't escape the dog. 

Any words of wisdom would be welcome.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, I am sorry for your loss, but such is the fate of many a feral (or any outdoor) cat.  At least in her life she knew love and friendship, and I am sure she treasured that as much as you did!

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Poor Gizmo! I am glad she knew you and had love in her life. You cared about her and I am sure she knew that. She surely loved you for loving her.
RIP Sweet Gizmo!
You will be missed!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Gizmo. You gave her food and love and that is much more than many ferals have. I know how much it hurts to lose a kitty, especially in such a way. Nature really can be so harsh and I'm deeply sorry that little Gizmo fell victim to it. I hope with time you will gain some comfort in knowing that without your family, Gizmo would have never known love. I'm sure she loved you back and was grateful for all your care.

RIP dear little Gizmo. [emoji]127752[/emoji]

jimvierling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that that happened to Gizmo. That really sucks.

I like dogs, just not vicious dogs. In this case though, I am not so sure that the neighbors wouldn't be minus a vicious dog. It is not in a dog's nature to kill a cat. That dog is vicious and might even attack a child if young enough. Your neighbors have some responsibility in this as well for letting the dog get loose.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, when a dog starts killing a domesticated animal, the next step is a human child, I have seen it happen several times. The authorities need to be contacted and told, whether the sheriff or the animal control, so a record can be made. A dog that kills CANNOT be allowed to escape, or even to run free, I was told I could trap such a dog and bring it in (or even shoot it ) if it comes onto my property. At the very least the neighbors need to be contacted and told that this will not be tolerated, and that the authorities will be contacted and that something needs to be done. My heart aches for little Gizmo, he deserved so much more then to be taken from this world, he was an innocent. I know how much it hurts to never see that little face again, it leaves a hole in your heart that is hard to heal. Time is the only thing that helps, that and knowing you gave that sweet little girl the love and care she wanted so badly. She died knowing she was loved deeply by the person that mattered the most. Please accept my condolences, your pain is my pain. RIP sweet Gizmo, you will never be forgotten and will be forever held in a loving heart!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.  I called the police when dogs attacked and killed my mother-in-law's cat, Chester.  I never thought I would be "that person", but yet I insisted something be done.  Still, the dogs managed to kill another cat before the situation was taken care of.  It is entirely up to you what to do as far as the dog is concerned.  I can understand.  It was an awful decision for me to make and I didn't want someone to lose their pets.  But they were running free, putting other animals and children at risk.  And they killed Chester.  Again, I am so sorry .  You are a blessing for your love and compassion for Gizmo, and your husband is. too.

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss of Gizmo. You truly cared for her and it will take time to heal.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, this is very sad story about dog killing  a cat, so shock here.

Poor Gizmo, rest in peace dear little one.