Little G

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a little very sickly black feral who appears quite ill. We want to take it to the local animal shelter because we cannot care for it. A guy from the shelter brought out a cat trap. It's only been out a couple hours but we really want to get this kitty some help. I was thinking of getting a net from a local sports store as someone suggested and my husband and i could get it into a carrier - if the trap doesn't work. It breaks our hearts because we know it's sick and we feed several other ferals who are not sick. We also have a indoor kitty or our own who we don't want to get sick. Do think the net would work? It can move fairly fast when it wants to but i don't think it's very strong. I also have a plastic tote on the patio that it sleeps in. We;ve tried catching it in that but haven't had any success there either. Frustrated and heartbroken for this little guy. Any ideas?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From my experience with a young feral cat a few weeks ago, the net might be your best bet, --just be sure to have a plan to get it from the net to the carrier. Bless your hearts!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A net could work. A trap can also work. I don’t know how you hope to use the net or what kind you want to use. The trick is going to be keeping the kitty from seeing the net since you say he moves fast. If you are planning on a large net used for scooping fish after you get them on a line then maybe you could put it in front of the place it sleeps before it comes out. For a cat that is mobile, you’re going to have to be very fast or catch the kitten sleeping. You’ll also need thick leather gloves to get the kitten from the net to a carrier. Maybe a blanket would work. The way I caught feral kitties was by getting them into a trap or , my favored way but if he is sick you may not have time, is to get them used to sleeping and eating in a carrier. I let them get used to me too so I could just shut the door on the carrier to get them. Not all kitties I caught that way were used to me so I covered the carrier sides to block their view and put great food at the back of the carrier. Slightly warmed Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food is a good lure. Once kitten is totally engrossed in eating you quickly and quietly shut the door and latch it. Kitten will try to bolt out so make sure the door is secure. Most will retreat away from you after shutting the carrier but some will try to get out. Cover the door and bring kitten in right away to a quiet spot away from your cat. I shut them in a bathroom until the vet visit. If you cannot get near the carrier you can rig a strong cord to close the door but it must be tightly closed and held that way until you can latch the door. Have you considered finding out what is wrong before turning the kitten over to a shelter? Will they treat the kitten? If you did want to work on the kitten you can keep it isolated from your kitty. I have pulled in a lot of ferals and could not release them in this area so I socialized them for adoption. Kittens are easier than adults when doing this but even older cats can socialize. Are there any rescue groups near you that might be able to help? Whatever you can do for the kitten, thank you! Helping the ferals you are feeding is a kind and generous thing to do. I wish you all the best! We’d also love to hear more about your kitty and the other feral kitties. Please update us and let’s us know how things go. .

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @homoki2002 !

You've been around here for a couple of years, so you're probably aware of the "kill/no kill" types of shelters.....but, just be sure there will be no risk to the kitten's life just because he's ill. It happens. "Local animal shelters" are not all created equal.

As Jcatbird Jcatbird suggested, rescue groups can often assist with trapping.......and then some!

Keeping paws crossed for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A net could work. A trap can also work. I don’t know how you hope to use the net or what kind you want to use. The trick is going to be keeping the kitty from seeing the net since you say he moves fast. If you are planning on a large net used for scooping fish after you get them on a line then maybe you could put it in front of the place it sleeps before it comes out. For a cat that is mobile, you’re going to have to be very fast or catch the kitten sleeping. You’ll also need thick leather gloves to get the kitten from the net to a carrier. Maybe a blanket would work. The way I caught feral kitties was by getting them into a trap or , my favored way but if he is sick you may not have time, is to get them used to sleeping and eating in a carrier. I let them get used to me too so I could just shut the door on the carrier to get them. Not all kitties I caught that way were used to me so I covered the carrier sides to block their view and put great food at the back of the carrier. Slightly warmed Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food is a good lure. Once kitten is totally engrossed in eating you quickly and quietly shut the door and latch it. Kitten will try to bolt out so make sure the door is secure. Most will retreat away from you after shutting the carrier but some will try to get out. Cover the door and bring kitten in right away to a quiet spot away from your cat. I shut them in a bathroom until the vet visit. If you cannot get near the carrier you can rig a strong cord to close the door but it must be tightly closed and held that way until you can latch the door. Have you considered finding out what is wrong before turning the kitten over to a shelter? Will they treat the kitten? If you did want to work on the kitten you can keep it isolated from your kitty. I have pulled in a lot of ferals and could not release them in this area so I socialized them for adoption. Kittens are easier than adults when doing this but even older cats can socialize. Are there any rescue groups near you that might be able to help? Whatever you can do for the kitten, thank you! Helping the ferals you are feeding is a kind and generous thing to do. I wish you all the best! We’d also love to hear more about your kitty and the other feral kitties. Please update us and let’s us know how things go. .
Thank you so much for all your info. I can't tell how old the cat is, it is not a "kitten" per se, I think it looks small because it has lost so much weight. I have a plastic tote on the patio with a hole cut in it and an outdoor pet bed heater in it and it seems to be staying in there quite a bit. I was thinking of getting a net and putting it over the entrance then having a blanket ready to put over that. We also thought about while its in the tote, quickly putting a piece of strong cardboard or something and one of us would hold it over the hole and the other one would secure it. It has a lid on it that snaps in place so I don't think that would be a problem?? I know they are incredibly strong when you try to put them in a carrier (we tried with a healthy feral and it was a total bust!) but i don't think this one has loads of strength, but i could be mistaken. Then we could just take the tote and all to the vet - shelter - whichever way we go. We're not in a position to handle taking care of another kitty - although i'd have a whole house full if i could! - but want to help as best we can. It's supposed to get very cold and snowy next week so I'm really hoping we can get this little fella somewhere before then. Again, just reading the things that others have gone through helps me so much. Will let you know.:lovecat2:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the net or the cardboard idea will work. I would use something strong to secure the lid. Maybe duct tape would hold it on. Maybe something as simple as wrapping cord around the tote so that it cannot push out. Even sick, they can surprise us with their efforts to run. I completely understand that we can’t take them all. The fact that you are going to such lengths to help this fur baby is huge. I wish you great success in catching the kitty.

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the net or the cardboard idea will work. I would use something strong to secure the lid. Maybe duct tape would hold it on. Maybe something as simple as wrapping cord around the tote so that it cannot push out. Even sick, they can surprise us with their efforts to run. I completely understand that we can’t take them all. The fact that you are going to such lengths to help this fur baby is huge. I wish you great success in catching the kitty.
Thanks for the encouraging words about the cardboard and duct tape. That was our first idea then we called the shelter and they sent out a guy who shown a flashlight into the tote and the cat ran......big surprise. Was no help. I'm glad to hear someone thinks our idea might have a chance. :crossfingers:

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much to all wonderful cat folks who helped me get through this heartbreaking time with Little G. Things turn out better than i thought they would. Little G was hanging out in a tote with a little doorway cut out on our patio . I stopped at the sports store on the way home and bought a large fishing net. My hubby put the net over the opening and the kitty ran out into the net. I was there with a blanket and covered it with that. (We both wore heavy leather gloves and heavy coats for safety.) Between the two of us we got the little fella into a clear plastic tote that had a lid with locking handles on it (these make great cat carriers by the way; cut some cute designs in the lid for air; get the see through ones and kitty can see out while she travels). Anyway my hubby Al cut the net off the kitty, pulling it out very gently, we locked the lid and were ready to go. I've had cats all my life but have never heard one howl like this little guy and although he's sick, he was still very strong. But then if somebody put in me a net and threw a blanket over me i'd be howling too! We put the tote in the back of our truck (truck has a canopy on it) and I rode in the back with the kitty to one of our local shelters. It calmed down completely after a little bit. I sat back there crying and telling the kitty how sorry i was we had to do this. Got to the shelter and explained the situation. They immediately got the people looking at Little G and they were discussing what meds to give him and getting him on fluids. I thought after our explanation they'd just.....well....you know....but no, they started caring for him! He or she is now warm, safe, fed and being helped. Al had to do all the talking cause I just stood there and cried. Big help i was huh. Although we both cried on the way home we both also knew we had not only done the right thing but that he was getting medical attention, food, water, warmth (we're expecting a major storm and cold temps this weekend). We threw out anything that the kitty had touched, not knowing what he or she had so am getting a new tote and new outdoor pet warmer and will fix up a new warm tote this weekend. I don't know what the future holds for Little G but at least we know he's safe and being cared for.

I can't tell you how much it means to me to have this website and all the wonderful people to connect with. :heartshape: Your website and the folks who come here are truly incredible! The information and ideas i've gotten from you wonderful folks is absolutely priceless!!!!!!! I don't know what I'd without The Catsite and its folks!

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww...well...just a cat lover who wants to help them when she can but thanks:purr: