Littermaid self cleaning helppp??

Raddys1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys and gals
We recently purchased 2 maine coon brothers they are 5 months old now and a non stop bundle of fun and naughtiness, mostly naughtiness actually lol.
We tried conventional litter trays but got fed up of the smell and constant raking of poop after only a month (how do they poop so much, its non stop)
Anyways after a month we took the plunge and purchased a littermaid multicat from America, £177 after taxes and shipping :eek:
But much better, well I say much better, its not really better. Its fine for 2 day maximum, then once the litter becomes wet the problems start. The machine will rake the litter but the litter then becomes clumpy and with each rake of the machine the rake pushes not only the poop but the top layer of damp granuals also gets pushed into the waste receptacle and within 2 days (not even 48 hours tbh) the waste receptacle is overflowing.
I used a clumping litter (be it a cheap one) at 1st but it stunk and then I used a premium light litter in the hope it wouldn't clump between the rakes, but to no avail.. after a day and a half the litter tray is overflowing and the smell is escaping.. I'm rather annoyed.
Has anyone had this problem? Is there a certain litter that works well? Does it have to be clumping, the kittens do a good job of covering it up and the poop doesn't get stuck to the rake its just when the litter becomes damp its a nightmare.
Many thamks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Cleaning litterboxes, whether regular ones or the receptacles of automatic ones, needs to be done regularly and frequently as part of normal household maintenance. From what it sounds like, for your boys the boxes need to be cleaned at least once a day.

This is a fact of cat ownership. I clean my cat's litterboxes once a day, sometimes twice, but in his situation he has several boxes.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
best way to limit litter box smell is to clean/scoop it out right away i am lucky enough to always be home to clean up after graycie soon as she uses her litter box. she also meows to alert me every time she is done.i also have her litter box where i can see when she uses it. so i can clean it right away kinda like changing diapers on a baby