Litterbox woes.

cleo123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so a few days ago, I made a thread about one of my cats peeing in weird places (on the kitchen counter, mostly). We took her to the vet, who gave her an antibiotic shot and a NurtureCalm pheromone collar. Since then, she hasn't been peeing anywhere.

However, the vet also recommended we get another litterbox.

Given the layout of the house, the only place we can put this litterbox is in a bit of a visible area (the dining room), so we opted for this. It's large and it's covered.

We got the litterbox today and about half an hour ago, one of my cats (we have seven) went outside the litterbox. This cat, we'll call him Hammy, has had some litterbox issues in the past. Years ago, he became terrified of the first litterbox we had because it was right next to the dryer, and the dryer kicked on or something to scare him away from it. That's when we got our second litterbox and put in in a different location. And when he goes to the bathroom, he never covers his mess, despite trying his very best, scraping on the floor and wall.

Hammy is a big cat. He's 16 pounds, mostly muscle. But apparently despite the size of this litterbox, he doesn't fit.

Not for a lack of trying, of course. He had his front end in the box, just not the back end, and I guess he figured that he was close enough to the wall of the box, so he must be doing it right. He peed on the floor.

In summary:

Cat was peeing in weird places. Got her to the vet, she stopped. Got a new, covered litterbox. Other cat can't seem to figure it out.

So . . . does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I paid 30 dollars for this box, so I don't want to toss it out, and I would really like to keep it covered given its location.

fair2middling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes our furnishings & home decorations need to take 2nd place, take the cover off of the cat litter box. You could also try a very large tub. Lowes & home depot sell large concrete mixing tubs for about $5.00, my sons giant Main Coon cats use this type of litter box.

Good luck.