Litterbox obsession

gusandjohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens one is great about the litterbox but the Himayalan/Siamese is obsessed with it, he will howl everytime it's been used and if I can't come right away he will get in it and cry and dig around and scratch at the sides untill I come and scoop it out, he is always going and checking on it. He made it clear he had a new issue with it by peeing on me while he was being cuddled, than when I went to clean up he ran to the shoe closet and went poo in my daughters shoes and my bag. I took off the lid to the litterbox cleaned it and refilled it with unscented litter ( I had scented litter before) he ran over so excited used it had me scoop it out. Since than he has been using it and not going anywhere else. But he is still always going and inspecting it he can't walk past without checking on it, is this normal for cats to be like this about their litterbox he has always been like this but he's worse lately like that's all he's thinking about and I tried having 2 litter boxes but they would only use the 1 litterbox. Last night he was in it not using it but just relaxing I took him out it he went back in and just relaxed until he wanted to play.

tumult

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what a weird kitten! i've only been a cat owner for about a week, so my experience is very limited, but it sounds like this might be a territorial issue. how old is he? is he altered yet? is the litterbox near a window or door where there might perhaps be stray/outdoor cats? if not, where is it? if there are other cats outside, this might be a sign of him feeling insecure about them invading his turf - especially if he is intact. that's really all i can think of. i almost wonder what would happen if you moved the litterbox somewhere else, just to see if it's the box itself or the location... then again, that might cause even more inappropriate elimination. >n<

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gusandjohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply, you could be right about him being territorial he isn't neutered yet, and the other kitten is also male. I will have to find a new spot for it and see if he forgets about it.