Litterbox Issues - Two Cats

shiremama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. 

I have two cats (one male and one female), both six years old.  We moved in November and over the past few months have noticed that one or both of them are not using the litterbox to urinate.  They are peeing RIGHT NEXT TO their boxes on the floor.  We clean the boxes daily.  Neither cats are in ill health, have been previously treated for UTI and are up to date on all shots, etc.  I am at my wits end because I can't stand the smell (basement floor) and am busy enough with two little children.  I can't keep cleaning up after them and my husband just wants to get rid of them. 

Any suggestions? We have two litter boxes going now, could start more if needed... haven't changed food or litter in ages, no new factors to bring about strange behavior that I can think of. 

TIA. 

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe they don't like the kind of litter you have. You may have to experiment with different kinds. The type of box might even play a factor in why they're not peeing inside. The best box is one that is uncovered and big. 

Since they're peeing right next to the litterbox, I wouldn't think placement is a problem. 

boosmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since this started after you moved, perhaps they don't like the location of the boxes. Try putting boxes in multiple locations to see where they prefer.