Litterbox issues - Questions to ask

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had some unexpected litterbox issues come up, and could use advise on how to get things figured out. Last night, I noticed some poop (it looked normal, not diarrhea, and was easy to pick up using a glove) outside of one of our litterboxes. There was some in the litterbox as well, so it looked like the cat either didn't get to the litterbox on time, or left too soon. This morning, I noticed what looked like a small puddle on our garage floor and a hairball on our rug. The puddle didn't smell strongly of pee (I didn't smell too close obviously), or have a yellow color to it ,but I wondered.because there was no water on the floor last night. I suspect my older cat Trixie (15+, got the all clear from a UTI on February 8th), but did not actually see which cat. There was some question if my other cat Felix could be stressing her. I suppose that's possible, since they were both waiting at the door this morning. My question if this continues, what are some things I can do to help sort this out/help the vet's office sort things out if we need to get one involved?

My other question was if she could have an undiagnosed uri (or if I'm overthinking things due to being hyperalert due to the current situation) or a super dry mouth. I noticed she seems noisy when she eats her canned food, and I have seen the occasional sneeze (not more than once a day) from her when beginning eating or drinking. She does have bad teeth, so that may be part of the reason.

She also acts a little strange around water. She will go up to her water dish and just stand there instead of drinking. I'm not sure if that could be a sign her kidney disease is getting worse, or of cognitive issues.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A couple of sneezes a day is nothing to worry about, they're like us, sometimes we sneeze, all it takes is a little dust (or litter dust!)

it could be a medical issue and if a cat is acting really off then see a vet. If the only issues are what you described it doesn't sound extremely urgent (youve got to judge that for yourself). You can do a few things to rule out the litter box itself.
-When was the last time you changed all the litter in the box. Very recently and it could be dusty, if its old litter it could just be dirty or have gotten acidic from use.
If it isnt been a few weeks, replacing all the litter, adding some baking soda on the the surface of the litter if it not new litter but not still way under 2 weeks old, If its a hooded litter box, leaving the cover off for a day or two to see if things go back to normal.

As for the water, Change the location of the water bowl and the actual bowl. use a bowl she never eats drinks from (one of the human bowls perhaps?). Make sure the water slightly cool but not cold. Cats are much more likely to drink from a bowl the never associated with stagnant or dirty water.

It's natural for a cat to not use a litter box or drink from a bowl if something about it was off recently.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the past my cat has gotten scared by a noise or something mid-poop and jumped straight out of the litter box leading to a stray poo getting flung out onto the floor. If it only happens once I wouldn’t be too concerned, but do watch them and make sure there’s no bullying going on between the two cats over the litter box. That could be a problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for you replies. I haven't had any issues since, so I'm hoping it was a one off. I don't think Felix bullies (in the sense of malice) Trixie over the litter box. But, I have seen him come over and cover her pee for her, so I do imagine he might be giving Trixie as much privacy as she would like. I will keep an eye out for that. I have ordered some fresh cat litter, and will clean both boxes and replace the litter, once the new cat litter arrives.