Litterbox Issue (not Innapropriate Peeing)

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. It's been a while since I logged on. I'll try to keep my question concise:

I've lived with my sister and her male cat, Goose, since 2015. Our boys get along well. They play, they cuddle, and are buds.

We have 2 boxes - one in my room, and one on the landing at the top of the stairs. Both are scooped every other day, if not daily. But how Goose uses the litter box particularly in my room is becoming a big issue - he is NOT peeing outside the box but the way he uses the box, pee often comes out of it.

It's a regular pan litter box (photo attached). Goose goes, squats right at the front of the box (while IN the box) and pees. A lot of the time urine, because of where he is or how low he's squatting, seeps out beneath the edge of the top and runs down the front of the box and onto the rubber litter pad :( yuck

If he would just go in farther, this wouldn't be a problem. And I want to reiterate, I really don't think this is a health issue. I've seen him pee where this happens right at the front and watched the pee come out through the bottom/top edge. I'm going to search new styles of litterboxes and see if I can find one that has a higher height of entry but maybe someone can point me in the direction of one?

Thanks

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How about making your own litter boxes out of storage containers? That way you could make a top entry or simply a higher- than-usual entry.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently went thru something similiar because of my big guy arnold who doesnt fit in a standard litter box.

I would consider taking off the lid of your box. Some cats dont like not being able to see around them when using the box and feel threatened and vulnerable. It would also make it easier to scoop the box.

I google "over sized litter boxes, extra large litter boxes" and found that are REALLY oversized box had to be ordered thru amazon and the cost (about $60 was ridiculous). Instead I ended up buying an under the bed storage bin. It has been working very well for my boys, looks nicer than most litter boxes and only cost me $17.00 It does not have very high sides.........but they dont need high sides as it has lots of room for them................. arnold still sometimes uses his regular box, which means he can only put his butt in it and has to squat with his 2 front legs out of the box......lol

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a pic of arnolds new "litter" box. We dont have covers on their boxes. ..they couldn't easily fit thru the opening and it would be very restrictive for them.

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the litter box is probably to small, short for him. And a lot of cats dont like covers in on the box. I would also suggest a bigger, longer box, and no cover :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the other posters, a larger litter box with higher sides should help.

And possibly a one piece one, as when I first adopted my Ruby, I had a not-covered, but 2-piece litter box and she used to do the same thing - back up against the side to pee, and sometimes it would run over the top. But other times, the pee would leak through the seams between the 2 pieces.

I ended up getting a new, larger litter box and 99.9999% the time her pee stays in the box. Very occasionally she still manages to pee over the side, but it's a very rare occurrence. The one I bought is something like this: