litter tray habits

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My youngest cat. For some unknown reason to me. likes to play in the litter trays when they haven't been used. I am hoping she might grow out of it. But she also like to make sure she kicks the litter out of the trays as well. I don't no why. Or if its just because she likes me to clean up after her I don't mind it but its got to the stage where its gettin all over the house if its not done straight away. An I went away just over night an it was even down stairs don't no how they managed it . Any advice would be really helpful.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, some cats do like to kick about a lot!  My boy doesn't play but he does dig like he's trying to get to the other side of the world then does a long jump out of the box taking half the litter with him to spread about the floor. 

When you say play, what it is she is doing?  Kicking about and digging? Rolling? Eating? Other?

How old is your cat that is doing this? Is the litter tray shared with other cats, and what type of litter do you use?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She likes to roll in it. And also lie down in it to. I hope she doesn't sleep in it I haven't seen her do it.

She is 7 months old. Yeah the litter trays are shared. Which is probably why she only does when they have been washed an new litter put in. She will play in it though I have just seen this earlier. That she will play if she has been to use them not if she's done a number 2 though. I use none clumping litter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Funny girl! 
   If she does roll in it when she's peed in there you might want to change to clumping so you can scoop the soiled stuff straight out.  I wonder if it's something about the smell of it that gets her, or if she likes the feeling for some reason?  A lot of cats at shows will lay in their litter, and it seems to be like a safe area for them, and cooling if they get over heated.

Glad to hear she's not eating it as quite a few cats seem to do that.

Am interested to see if anyone else has a cat that's doing this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah she's funny. I don't no if its the smell. It just seems like something she finds amusing to do. Until ella goes to the toilet. She does look quiet happy with her self when she's playin/lying in the litter. I did take it out before she could do it again.
It would be good right about now if cats could talk then they could tell you why they do things
I didn't no cats lie down in it to cool down. She does have a thick coat on her. But when the heatin is on she is on the back of the chair almost sun bathing.
Am glad she doesn't eat it to. Because it can can cause problems. :lol3: