Litter tray behaviour

davidc59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi , some of my cats return to the litter box again and again to cover up their business ,and they scratch at the walls nearby ,any way i can get them to stop doing it .

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RE: scratching - perhaps put a scratching post near by? It sounds like your cats like to scratch after relieving themselves.

As for going to the litter box - is this a new thing? If you feel your cats have started going to the litter box more recently or excessive, you should take them to the vet to rule out any issues. Also I note you say 'cats' plural but 'litter box' singular - you should have at least one litter box per cat and ideally one extra. 

If they're going to the litter box but not actually using it, just cleaning up, might be a sign they want you to empty their litter box on a more frequent basis (especially if you have less boxes than cats? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

davidc59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ,the 2 that tend to do it  the most  are my young cats Sooty and Jet ,the other 2, Misha  and Callie do it but not so much ,i don't think it is a case for the vet ,it is not that they visit the litter boxes (5) and can't go ,it is they seem to be fixated by making sure that it is well covered up .

Sorry i took so long to reply.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

davidc59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ,it is a problem ,it annoys the hell out of me.