Litter Tracking

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you stop it?! I'm going nuts. I have eight cats, and the litter tracks everywhere. EVERYWHERE. It's really keeping my house from being clean, and it's driving me insane. I have to do a thorough cleaning every few days just to keep the place barely presentable. Also, best odor-absorbing litter? I'm using Swheat Scoop now, but I'm not sure how thrilled I am with it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately.   I only have 1 cat,  so litter tracking isn't so bad, but she only uses the litter box twice a day.   You've probably got tracking 16 times a day, so no wonder you feel overwhelmed!

You might try different types of litter. My sister switched from a clumping to non-clumping in hopes of decreasing litter tracking.  It might have helped a little with the tracking, but she missed the convenience of clumping litter, so I think she switched back.   

Hopefully someone here will have a suggestion for you.  Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Someone on my blog suggested putting the boxes inside of slightly larger cat boxes. She says this has eliminated tracking on her end. I think she only has one box though, so idk if it'll help on a large-scale level?

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just have one fella but litter tracking was an issue. I do use a litter mat and clumping pellet litter which seems to work. Just have to make sure the litter mat is emptied out every so often

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
snick is my only-cat. i use clumping cat litter. i use litter mats with her two litter boxes. the mats do catch quite a bit of litter in them, though don't completely prevent litter tracking. i just dump the litter crumbs on the mats back into the litter boxes when i scoop them each day.

i do house cleaning about the same frequency as you do. for me it's every 4th day. i vacuum the whole house every 4th day, but in between vacuuming days i use a dust pan and hand brush to sweep up litter crumbs that have made their way into our kitchen/living room/etc.

i use tidy cats 24/7 performance (clumping) cat litter. we don't usually have a problem with odor from the litter boxes. do your crew cover their pee/poops? my snick doesn't always cover hers, and when she doesn't cover her poop i need to go in and scoop the litter over it. i scoop  the litter boxes once each day, but i would scoop more often if it was needed.