Litter that does not spread

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have three litter boxes for two cats. This is relatively new for us as we have a new kitten. So previously we just had one in the basement for our older resident cat, Lola. But for the kitten we decided to add two more in areas it’s easier for her to get to, like in bathroom and living areas. So they both use these now GREAT! And they track the clay all over the place, NOT GREAT! Is there a better tho of litter to use that does not get stuck on cats paws as much? Do those litter rugs help?

Thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The litter mats can help, definitely. I obtained a super large one since Captain steps outside of the box immediately upon finishing so that he can really get to the job of covering lol.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The litter mats can help, definitely. I obtained a super large one since Captain steps outside of the box immediately upon finishing so that he can really get to the job of covering lol.
My favorite is when they step out and immediately shake their paws, with litter flying everywhere. 🤦‍♀️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My favorite is when they step out and immediately shake their paws, with litter flying everywhere. 🤦‍♀️
I am pretty sure I have a similar situation. There are bits of clay up to two feet from the box in every direction. I clean it everyday and literally within some hours it’s back.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi:wave3:, I am a minimalist with a kitty having turfs of paw hair. We only use toilet paper in kitty box. I know it is never mentioned, but believe me we have no residual anywhere in our house. His paws are cleaned as he naturally scratches the box bcz the soft paper absorbs all poop and urine. It is a secret. Don't tell the toilet paper companies. They will be marketing cat toilet paper:geekcat::cutecat::kneading:. Let our kitties benefit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi:wave3:, I am a minimalist with a kitty having turfs of paw hair. We only use toilet paper in kitty box. I know it is never mentioned, but believe me we have no residual anywhere in our house. His paws are cleaned as he naturally scratches the box bcz the soft paper absorbs all poop and urine. It is a secret. Don't tell the toilet paper companies. They will be marketing cat toilet paper:geekcat::cutecat::kneading:. Let our kitties benefit.
Thank you. Didn’t think of that, but I would be worried about kitten getting used to going to bathroom in paper. Which would be a problem in our house as we have paper all over the place! Also I do think there is a brand of litter called “yesterday’s news” which is supposed to be made of recycled newspaper. Maybe should try that as I recall it didn’t spread very far. Thank You!

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started using wood pellets and even after it turns to fluff, I don't think it tracks as easily or as far as the clay litters. Plus it's a lot less money. A $10 40lb bag of it will easily last a month with 2 cats, and I pay a few dollars for a large box of baking soda and add some of that to the mix to help with odor.
I was paying about $25 to $28 a month for 40 pounds of decent clay litter that would help kill odors.

The litter box is in the back part of my utility room so it's about 12 feet from hallway door. I was always vacuuming litter up in that area. So far, it seems like the powdered wood isn't going more than 3 or 4 feet from the box, and it's easy to sweep up.

Also, I have one cat, named Song...phew...a person needs a hazmat suit to go in there after she's done. She doesn't want anything to do with it either - she doesn't hang around to cover stuff up... and will make a big leap out of the litter box and Run!

Yeah, it's that bad. lol.
So she is getting that stuff out farther from the litter box than it probably could go if she just stepped out.

I have a sister who has to keep her cats' litter box on carpet...but she found a 4 x 4 of vinyl flooring to put partly under the litter box...it gives her about 3 feet of vinyl for her cats to walk on before hitting the carpet and it seems to do a good job. Plus, being vinyl, she can sweep and mop it. It has a cushioned backing so it doesn't curl up on the edges like the older type, thinner, paper backing type of vinyl flooring will do.

Stormy

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
person needs a hazmat suit to go in there after she's done.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but have you tried a diet change for Song? Mr Captain had the same room - clearing issue and I figured out which brand was the culprit since he was getting a variety. He's nearly stink free now :)

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now that’s an interesting idea. I can’t imagine it working, but shredded paper works so I guess it makes sense. Do you shred the toilet paper? How? I might have to try this. I think I’ll just try it in one box and see if they use it. Thanks for sharing your secret! (What about odor? I can’t imagine it absorbing odor)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm also here to say that if your cats will use pellets, that yes they help. They are heavier and track less. Please use pellets made for cats however, as the ones treated for rodents like rabbits won't have been treated the same and can be toxic to cats.

Also the littermats help. I have one with the holes and another kind I'm trying out that just has grooves.

Screenshot of one I've used for a long time that I like.

I also found that having them inside of a litter table helped. But you'd have to test if your cats would use that.

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is the one that I just got this week. I don't think it's good for a corner box so I might try switching this one with my other one. Still, it's helping considerably.

Don't mind the escaped fan plug. We are reorganizing today.

Attachments