Litter: techniques for avoiding tracking and dust

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in Germany and still haven't found a "dust free" litter. I've tried quite a few, but I don't really have a sophisticated scale to say any litter was better than the others I tried. If I need to cough after scooping litter, it's dusty.

Today I tried the pouring the litter into another container before the litter box technique that I've seen some posters mention, and didn't really see a difference. I poured it back and forth four times and every time there was still clouds of dust coming off. Was it my technique, or did I choose an especially dusty litter? I got BioKat Micro Classic (Up to 100% dust free! http://www.biokats.info/en/produkte/biokats-micro-classic.html).

So about the technique:

Better to pour from higher (so wind has more of a chance to blow away dust as its falling) or lower (so it hits the pile with lower force and dust doesn't break off)?

Should I use a fan to help the dust blow away even more?

Any other tips I should know?

And about choosing litter: was it a bad idea to get the really fine version? (It was the only one in stock so I didn't have much of a choice this time, but for next time...) Anyone notice a difference with tracking/dust and litter granule size?

Any good litter tracking reduction techniques? I have a litter mat next to the box (actually three), but somehow litter still ends up on the couch....

And any European posters have a good, low dust, made in Europe litter they like? (I tried Tigerino from Zooplus, it was ok but still dusty and came all the way from Canada.)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think the granule size hasany bearing on the amount of dust, but the finer grains seem to be a bit more easily tracked.

Have you tried this one? It's clumping and virtually dust-free, but easily tracked. I guess you can't have everything.
[product="19248"][/product]

This one isn't bad, either. You get a bit less dust than with the Tigerino, and smaller clumps.
[product="19243"][/product]

I just got a bag of something called Silversand (sold on Amazon and at Fressnapf) to try; I'll let you know how it is in a couple of weeks.

As far as tracking is concerned, this mat is terrific, though it costs an arm and a leg. It's available from Amazon.de
[product="19910"][/product]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was using the Cat's Best, then switched to clay to see if there were allergy issues (she overgrooms her stomach and legs), then switched back almost a year later. Her stomach stayed bald for most of the clay trial, but when I switched her back to the Cat's Best, she pulled the hair off her thighs again. :( And the clumps are giant compared to clay!! I've used various plant based litters for most of her life, and didn't realize how much smaller the clumps are with clay. If I was lazy and only scooped every 24-36 hours with the clay, she could still find a clean place to dig, but with the Cat's Best, I have to scoop multiple times a day or she won't bury it. It's too bad, I really don't like using clay litter.

Cat & Clean is on my list to try, thanks. That mat looks neat! I have one of those industrial rubber mats (sort of like this ), but I don't think she likes walking on it. And it's not big enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does Cat & Clean come unscented? I only see vanilla and baby powder on Zooplus.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't seen unscented or lavender-scented Cat&Clean for ages, so they were probably discontinued. I get the vanilla, which is very, very subtle. Zooplus used to sell a double pack of it, but that seems to have been discontinued, too.

What really bugs me is that you find a great litter, but the quality deteriorates after a couple of years, often because the producer starts to overscent it.

I liked Allco Sauberkater years ago, but it started getting too dusty. I don't know whether that's still the case.

Last edited:

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same boat as you Samus, I'm in Ireland and really struggling to find a decent litter. The Cat's Best tracked all over the apartment! I'm using this at the moment which is better, but still not that great.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
samus samus

Right now I'm testing the unscented Silversand, and so far so good. It forms small hard clumps and is virtually dust-free. It's so fine that I can picture longhaired cats getting it in their fur, but it's good for shorthaired ones. Unfortunately, it's more expensive than the Tigerino: €0.87 per kg at Amazon as opposed to €0.73 per kg for Tigerino at zooplus for 15 kg. Both are somewhat cheaper when you order 30 kg.