Litter Suggestions

Momto3newkittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey All,

I am looking to find a cheaper litter than BoxieCat, but something that is still good quality. I was looking at Dr. Elsey's litter since it had so many good reviews, but it seems that they changed their product recently? My boy likes to dig to China when he uses the litter box and it sounds like that litter might cement to the bottom of the box. I appreciate any recommendations

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I used Dr. Elsey’s Ultra unscented for a long time and never had any trouble with it. One of my three likes to dig. I recently switched to SmartCat clumping grass litter because I wanted to get away from using clay, but I think Dr. Elsey’s is a very good litter.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I no longer use clay litter either. When i did, and if i were to go back the Fresh step was always my favorite litter.

I also use a grass litter, i pick up abound from our Kroger store, or order smartcat online. I also use Litter maid walnut litter that i pick up at walmart. Both are great on their own, but recently i have started mixing them. a bag of each in my large litter boxes. The mix seems to play up the strong points of each and lessen the few bad points.

The walnut will crumble a bit with scooping, the grass clumps very well, but is very light weight and tracks a bit. mixing the two equally together seems to work for me, the grass gives the great clumps, and the walnut gives a bit of weight so it helps with the tracking :)

i have one that will dig to the bottom of the box to pee as well, no matter how deep the litter. This is a real pain with clay litter. Its not such a big deal with the walnut and grass, especially the grass does not stick to the pan, cleans up easy. and the mix of the two does as well.