Litter Sifting Vs Scooping

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dunno...it seems more work to me to have to shift?

I have the same experience as Susanm9006 when I try to scoop: often the wet clumps break up and leaves crumbled pieces that are hard to get out. That little basket seems to keep the clumps all in one piece...95% of the time anyway.
What brand of cat litter are you using? It seems if wet is getting left behind often, it's not clumping very good..

Have you tried sprinkling baking soda on the bottom (then pour the litter ontop)? This really helps from it sticking to the bottom.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use the store brand Pet Supplies Plus unscented. It's pretty good at hard-clumping and I rarely get one stuck on the bottom. It was really easy when I used the puppy pee pads...until the kitten started to shred them. But, I'm going to go with the "glove method" for a while. I didn't see any downside to it compared with scooping or sifting.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's my dirty secret: I neither sift nor scoop. I keep a box of inexpensive plastic gloves in my pantry and twice a day I don them and go through the box. My partner has a fit if he's around when I do it. He thinks it's one of the most disgusting things ever. It's just quicker and easier for me that way. Plus, Atticus pees like a grown man and his clumps are huge. When I pick them up with my gloved hand they never crumble.
I do the same sometimes ! My hubby a painter so always stocked up with disposable gloves and it's like picking up a block sometimes as clamped together . Anyone wear a mask ? Read you should wear one ! Hubby laughed however brought me back some today !

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do the same sometimes ! My hubby a painter so always stocked up with disposable gloves and it's like picking up a block sometimes as clamped together . Anyone wear a mask ? Read you should wear one ! Hubby laughed however brought me back some today !
No, I don't wear a mask. If I need one, the cats must need a mask and an oxygen tank.

Amazing though that any clay litter is allowed to market "99% Dust Free". Must be tongue-in-cheek.