Litter Robot Questions

lishal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been looking into alternatives to a manual litterbox because I'm finding that I don't have as much time to scoop the 5-7 times that I usually do at the moment. I have two kittens so they eat and poop a lot and I like to scoop the solids as soon as I can because even with both my kitties burying pretty deep the smell still gets out. I don't know what it is with my house, or if it's the open litterbox or just my kitties smelling extra bad but every time they use the litterbox, the smell sticks around for hours unless I scoop right away. After some research, I narrowed it down to two products: The Cat Genie and the Litter Robot. I ruled out the Cat Genie after reading the reviews about how it sometimes bakes the poop. The bathrooms in my house are also absurdly small so there's no room to set it up anyway. So the Litter Robot seemed like a better bet.

I use World's Best Cat Litter and mostly I want to reduce how often I scoop to once a day. If it can go even longer than that then that would truly be a dream! Has anyone used the Litter Robot with WBCL with good results? Does it really reduce or eliminate the smell? And how often do you empty the container?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first suggestion is to transition to a different litter.  So many people have told me that world's best simply doesn't have adequate odor control.  A clumping clay litter (unscented) may be a good way to go, or even plain clay.  Everclean and arm and hammer make excellent clumping litters.  Some people gravitate to worlds best (corn based) because its natural, but clay litters are completely natural too.

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The "natural" litters do not control odor, before spending hundreds of dollars on automatic litter sifters I'd change litters.  Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat (blue bag) is a hard clumping and odor controling litter - out of all the others I find this litter is great.  I also always sprnkle baking soda in with the litter for odor control.  Cats eliminations smelling horrible can also be the result of what you are feeding your cats or they may have mediical issues (worms).  If they check out with clean bill of healths then I would definitely look at what you are feeding them, anything with fish in it creates  the worst solid waste smells.  As a treat I sometimes give my girls salmon and the resulting feces can clear a room the minute it leaves their bodies!  Check to see if the food contains fish but definitely try a different food.  Are the kittens old enough to transtion to an adult formula of food?  The kitten food is very rich and this may also be the cause of feces from hell.

The Litter Robot: The overall size of the unit is huge don't think it isn't.  It looks like a small concrete mixer.  I bought one many years ago and it sits in my storage unit  (I just can't throw out a $300 item).  In theory it is a nice concept, it is very small inside the globe and it is also dark inside the globe which makes it hard to see if it needs cleaning and it will because some of the wet stuff sticks to the screen.  My one cat never got the stick your head outside (as in the pictures) and usually ended up urinating out the entrance onto the step which couldn't be cleaned.  The plastic will absorb odor and no amount of cleaning will take care of that.  Some people will take the globe part to a self car wash and use the power hose to clean the inside which can get very dirty.  My one cat finally said enough is enough and started to urinate outside the Liitter Robot "Bot" and that is when I went back to a nice open storage box which they both happily use.  The drawer part where used litter goes absorbs smells as does the ring around the globe part where it sits on the motor and collection drawer.  My cats are not large but they filled in the globe when inside it and my cat who loves to dig couldn't do that.  My opinion, don't waste the money.  

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.  Eliminations should not smell that bad, it is either a medical issue or a food issue.

shirley kaminsk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lishal:

The World's Best Cal Litter can be used in the Litter-Robot; however, it tends to hold moisture.  Our recommendation would be to use clay clumping litter, since it works best.  Crystals or litter pearls can also be used.  They will absorb the liquid and only the waste will be deposited into the waste drawer.  How often they would need to be changed would depend upon usage.

Check out our website at www.litter-robot.com to view the litter we have available.

The Litter-Robot is cat sensor activated.  The cat needs to weigh at least 5 lbs. to activate the cat sensor.  The unit will cycle seven minutes after it is used allowing your cat to have a clean litter box all the time.

It saves on litter and really works.

As far as emptying the bag in the waste drawer is concerned, using an example for two average sized cats, emptying the waste drawer 1 or 2 times per week is typical. A single cat may only require a once per week emptying of the waste drawer.

We hope this information is of some help to you and appreciate your interest in our Litter-Robot.  We are always available to answer your questions, etc. at support(at)litter-robot.com.

Regards,  Shirley

Litter-Robot Customer Service Representative

Last edited by a moderator: