Litter Robot help

magycmyste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got my cat a new litter box, the Litter Robot II. It arrived a week ago, and I set it up immediately. I think Cleopatra was nervous about it at first, but I left it off and cycled it manually for the first couple of days. I saw that she was using it, so I turned it to Automatic about 3 days ago. She's been using it each day (I gave her a few treats each time I saw the light on red).

Today, however, when I got home from work, I saw that she had pooped outside the litterbox on the floor. I used a paper towel to put the poop inside the litterbox (I remember that being a tip I read for kittens), but I think she might be scared of it again, as I can't think of any other reason she might suddenly not be using it again.

I'm hoping that she will get curious and try it again, but does anyone have any tips for increase the chances of her keeping using it?

So far, I'm thinking of turning it off again (even if I have to manually cycle it once a day, it's better than scooping, and her litter will stay clean), but I am hoping that she will be comfortable enough to use it, even on automatic. But any other suggestions you all might have would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get maybe 3 of these donated to the shelter each week because cats are terrified of them, sometimes people just cant get theoir cat to use them.

No suggestions other than patience or using in on manual, sorry!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Litter Robot too and I love it but not all four of my cats will use it. Still, I got it because my youngest cat is so insane about having a pristine box that he would go out of the box. Thankfully, he likes the Litter Robot so I'm happy and satisfied with it even though my older kitties won't use it. We did try to get them all to use it and I found that even though Kit would urinate in it she refused to defecate in it. I don't why there was a difference for her. When trying to get the cats to use the box I did two things that worked well. First, I turned it off and put a small dish with treats in the box just to get them to go inside of it. Then, I put cat nip down in the drawer part. That really draws them to it and was what really got Seti (the cat who uses it exclusively) to use it. Additionally, I put scooping litter in the Litter Robot then switched their old boxes to crystals. Those that prefer the traditional litter just have to use the Robot. Though I still have to scoop the other boxes, the crystals at least cut down on the work so in the end we're all happy!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magycmyste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, I see. Thanks!

Well, she has not gone outside the box again yet since that time, and since I turned the box off again (cycling it about once a day or so). So I know she'll go in there. I think it's just the sound that bothers her (or maybe it bothers her more when it happens and I'm not around? It's only when it was on automatic that she went outside). Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to calm her down about the sound part.

I can be patient on turning it to automatic as long as she's using it. I'll try the catnip trick, too.

Thanks for the advice!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome. One mistake I made was turning it on too soon for Hemmy. He got scared of the sound and stays away from the box entirely. I hope to try to get him to use it in the future but for now I had to settle for Seti and Friday using it.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a question about these robots. Sorry to go off topic.

My wilbur digs all the way to the bottom of the very side of his box. no matter how deep the litter is. he poops and pees directly on the pan bottom because he shovels the litter until it's all gone to the other side.

This is why i didn't get him a robot because If igured it wouldn't get cleaned since everything is stuck to the bottom.

am i wrong?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what would happen. The inner liner of the Litter Robot is a thick rubber. It's very easy to clean when I disassemble the thing. I just wipe mine out with vinegar to remove any odors (Seti is very, very particular) and I've never found any clumps sticking to the Robot but I don't think Seti or Friday dig that deeply in it.