Litter problem

smilexcindy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a new kitten and she is used to the pine litter so she never had to cover her poop but she attempts to cover but she's completely off so she doesn't end up doing anything. Plus she'll dig a hole and won't even go poop in it. How can I teach her to use it correctly?

Any advice?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats don't bury at all. How old is she? It's possible that her aim will get better as she gets older.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think it depends on that cat.  we had a cat who never buried anything for his entire life, and while HK - our current cat - used to bury, he no longer does. 

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link tried to cover his when he was younger and was never any good at it either. He'd often end up trying to scratch cover from outside the box. Best guess is he has always been a long cat and even the extra long is barely bog enough for him to fully stand in so the digging is awkward. He stopped trying to cover it and now just leaves it uncovered in the litter box. Oddly enough when he is able to go outside instead he is perfect about digging a little hole and properly covering it back up. 

But Link also a weirdo when it comes to the litter box. I have to have two boxes side by side for my picky boy. He checks one out, digs a little, checks the other, digs a little, goes back and forth before settling on one to pee. Comes to yell at me that I need to clean. Waits for me to clean and then poops in the second one. If I am not home, I just find one mess in each box (uncovered) when I get home. I told the vet he was picky when he was hospitalized and they just made sure to keep it clean and he managed with one box. 

Rocket used to like to dig for fun in it and wouldn't go. She'd just hide in her hole and attack anyone who walked by. Luckily I am very picky on litter box cleanliness so there wasn't any dirty litter issue with her oddness. She grew out of it within a few months although she still randomly digs holes outside sometimes (to the point my Mom thinks she is confused and thinks she's a dog).

Yours will settle into a habit that works for her. Kittens sometimes just take time to figure it out. You can show her how to bury it when you catch her before walking away. But otherwise there isn't much you can do to convince her to do her business in a specific manner. 

Last edited: