Litter pan for standing cat

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tell you the peeing issues are never ending at my house.
I added 2 more boxes. We have 5, three are large rubbermaid containers. I put a small amt of litter. Enough to cover all messes over night but low enough that I thought Benson would still pee in the box. He is aiming too high. It might be the location but that is out of my control. What in the world can I use for this cat? I think a top opening would work BUT he needs to see his surroundings when going. I read reviews that this type of box might not work and he might sit on the lid and mess there.

Is there any creative suggestions? The boxes with the open front would cause him to pee out the door. If I get a cover for around the box then he will just mess on that and most won't last long(smell/cleanup).

TIA

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like it might work
. But my only concern is, in a multi-cat household the cats might not feel "safe" enough to jump in and out to use it.

So I would recommend you cut some type of entrance/exit hole in the tub. Also, if the container is not water proof, I would question if it is urine proof.

In closing it looks like the cat(s) have been using the "litter box" as is. Is that correct
? if so, then I would leave well enough alone. Since if the cat(s) are using it then they must be happy

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How big are those sterilite clear tubs??? If they're the 18 gal + size those are tall enough - he's peeing over the side of them?? Wowza.....and you're sure he's not spraying, UTI free?

Because the 18 Gal rubbermaid tubs are my suggestion usually for cats who don't squat to pee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

How big are those sterilite clear tubs??? If they're the 18 gal + size those are tall enough - he's peeing over the side of them?? Wowza.....and you're sure he's not spraying, UTI free?

Because the 18 Gal rubbermaid tubs are my suggestion usually for cats who don't squat to pee.
I can't find the measuring tape. LoL66qt is the one he is peeing over now. It's 26 1/2 tall. I had put him in the box and measured where his butt meets the sides. I then added only enough litter that he shouldn't be able to pee over. Apparently he found a way to aim higher.

He had UTI a few weeks ago. We haven't had a check up since but he has always gone this way. I never bothered to get something bigger since the boxes were in the laundry room and we don't care if he misses in there. Now it's by the sofa and not good.

I saw this product another another TCS'er suggested it. However the reviews on Amazon warned a cat like mine wouldn't go in but sat on top and well it went everywhere. Kinda worried about spending time and money after reading that.
http://www.petco.com/product/14467/C...Litterbox.aspx

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about a regular litter box inside one of those totes? That way, if he misses, it's still inside the tote.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use two 120 quart storage totes for my cats; each holds 84 gallons of litter. They can be bought at any Home Depot and are inexpensive; maybe something like this would be high enough foe your boy to use without mishap?

AC

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
About the Clevercat boxes: I have never tried one, but just from seeing them at the store they look too small for my boys (both the box itself and the opening to get in). In the past I have made something similar though, just by using a large Rubbermaid tote with a lid. I used a box cutter to cut a large opening in one end of the lid, and presto, I had a supersize clevercat-type box (and for much cheaper, too). Just make sure the bin you use isn't made of an especially rigid plastic that would crack rather than cut, and make sure you don't leave any sharp jagged edges. At the time I had up to 7 cats using this type of box, and none of the cats refused them (but none of them had preexisting "box issues" either).

My observation of my cats was they'd usually stand in the box with their heads poking out the opening, and their rears toward the closed end. If your boy did the same, that might solve your problem.

Good luck!

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My BF made one out of a rubber made just like clever cat, he liked the concept but said kitty would not use it. He may not have left it long enough
he said and let her have access to the front entry so she would go.

How did you get your cat to transition from front entry to top?
Do you completely remove the old style shes used to and not worry about it if she has to go she will figure it out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeykitty

My BF made one out of a rubber made just like clever cat, he liked the concept but said kitty would not use it. He may not have left it long enough
he said and let her have access to the front entry so she would go.

How did you get your cat to transition from front entry to top?
Do you completely remove the old style shes used to and not worry about it if she has to go she will figure it out?
I am curious about this too.

I had mentioned Benson needs to see out and the top opening might not work. I guess I will shop for taller totes. He has a UTI. On week 3 of antibiotics with a week off. I had a feeling it didn't go away. They still don't know why he won't squat.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
26" high! Wow, and I thought 17 inches was high for a female to pee. Like your cat, Ritz pees standing up at least half the time, always has. I tried every kind of litter box, including the dome covered one. Dome covered boxes aren't really water/urine proof if the pee goes through the tiny openings.
Finally at the suggestion of some of the posters, I bought a really tall, clear plastic box, about 21 inches high. I cut a hole in the middle so Ritz could get in/out easily. Maybe it's luck, but she's never peed through the opening. I also wanted the box to be clear, precisely so that Ritz could see out and wouldn't feel boxed it. Works like a charm.

teamcarp33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend and I have a mother daughter pair of cats- she adopted mama, and I adopted her kitten. Neither of them squat much at ALL, even when pooping. Seems like it's just "the way they are", since both are healthy...maybe it's a genetic trait.

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know the tub my BF used was a solid color so no seeing in or out.
He said he might try the clear container the cat could then at least see the litter inside might help.
I need a top entry for my cat also her pee goes all over the sides and seeps through where the top and bottom go together and sometimes out the front door so the top entry would solve that.

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ritz did you make it a top entry or cut the hole in the side of your clear tub?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I (well, my brother) cut the square hole in the middle, not on the top. It's fairly wide. I thought it would be comfortable for her and more like what she is use to. If you go this way, make sure the bottom cut is high enough; too low, and you won't be able to put enough litter in without a lot falling out.
Oh, and based on my knowledge of Ritz, I also believed (still do) that she is a cat who needs to see her surroundings; she doesn't like a sense of being boxed in, which is why the box is clear. Ritz is use to me watching her urinate/defecate; in fact, I swear sometimes she waits until I am in the kitchen (where her littler box always has been) before she uses her litter box.
Good luck!