Litter of kittens and mama

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just found a litter of 4 kittens and their mama under my shed. I have not run into something like this before and have no idea what to do. I gave them all food. I'm so worried something is going to happen to them, they are little. They are not trusting of humans. My heart.

20230905_091801.jpg 20230905_091447.jpg 20230905_091112.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I ran into this situation a few months ago, mom with babies about the same age. After feeding them for about a week And looking for a rescue to take them, I went door to door with flyers in my neighborhood and the next day they were gone and haven’t reappeared. Some nearby owner apparently let the kittens out with mom and she thought my shed was a good place to hang out and maybe teach hunting.

Might not be the same for you but if you have neighbors be sure to check before assuming they are abandoned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ran into this situation a few months ago, mom with babies about the same age. After feeding them for about a week And looking for a rescue to take them, I went door to door with flyers in my neighborhood and the next day they were gone and haven’t reappeared. Some nearby owner apparently let the kittens out with mom and she thought my shed was a good place to hang out and maybe teach hunting.

Might not be the same for you but if you have neighbors be sure to check before assuming they are abandoned.
Unfortunately we have many stray/feral cats in our neighborhood. I have found many cats and no one claims them. They'll be here but I won't be going around knocking on doors. I'll put a post up on Facebook and Nextdoor though. My neighbors don't care about animals 😔

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there are any feral cat groups in your area you may want to ask for their help in possibly trapping them, the kittens look young enough that they could still be socialized and adopted, mama could get spayed and released if she is a true feral.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are adorable and what a pretty mom cat. If you start feeding them on a regular schedule the kittens may all learn to be a bit more trusting of you. It would be great if you could socialize the kittens enough to be able to handle them and get them into a carrier. If not, you will have to live trap them and trap the mom and get her fixed. Check around with the rescues and shelters in your area. Also, make sure you put some water down for them along with the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry I just saw these comments! I actually trapped all 5 on Friday (9/8) and took them to the animal shelter on Saturday. Mama was spayed, had her ear tipped, given the rabies vaccine and I got her back today and released her outside. She took off really fast and I haven't seen her at all. I didn't put any food out because I didn't think she would come back right away, and if Ieave it out for awhile it gets very covered in ants. I'm not exactly sure what to do in this situation. The kittens are still at the shelter, they are trying to tame/socialize them but they are still very wild. They said they might be a TNR as well.
20230908_203808.jpg 20230908_203834.jpg

And mama today before I released her 20230915_105029.jpg

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you got them all caught. Good job! The kittens are quite young still and the younger ones generally socialize just fine with a little work.