litter lockers

charlie s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there

my daughter lives in an apartment 4Th floor and is searching for best way to dispose dirty litter from the box. does anyone have suggestions or have experience with litter lockers? appreciate any advice.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one and live on the 6th floor of an apartment building. 

It's great, IMO. You don't have to change the bag every day like it suggests, I change it when it gets full and don't notice any smell. You do have to double bag it in most apartments, I usually just twist it and pull the bag over itself and then tie. It's never broken open when I've thrown it down the shoot. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We don't live in an apartment, but have had a LitterLocker I for the upstairs litterbox for over a decade. I empty it once a week and find it very effective in containing odors.

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought one a couple of weeks ago because I get tired of our outside trash can smelling like cat waste.  We have two litter boxes together in one room and it holds the waste from two boxes for a week.  I love it so much that I bought a second one for our other set of two litter boxes.

olivesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have a litter locker, but I put my used litter clumps into something like this:

Once the lid is closed I can barely smell anything. My container is in a very small bathroom, and I live in a small studio apartment. I put used litter clumps/poops into a grocery bag and tie it loosely closed so I can clean out the litter box a few times/days before then taking the full bag to the dumpster. This container is not airtight, so I'd imagine an air tight one would work even better.

Last edited:

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used a containter similar to what Olivesmom uses (the bucket from the 30 pound Petco litter).  It did pretty good with the smell when it was closed, but the ammonia smell almost gagged me when I would open it.  Using the Litter Locker instead of that bucket is like using a Diaper Genie instead of a diaper pail for human children.