Litter issue

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

In an effort to reduce my 3 cats environmental footprint, I switched some time ago to an eco-friendly litter (Ecolife by Intersand) which uses wheat and corn residue. I also used another one briefly that was essentially pine sawdust. Both have the advantage of being extremely light, however this is also one of the biggest problem with them. Because they are significantly lightweight compared to regular clay litter, it gets carried absolutely *everywhere*, so much so that I need to sweep the floor of my entire place multiple times a week. Now I'd like to stick to the eco-friendly litter, however I'm wondering if anyone have home-made tricks or know of very good products (like litter catching mats that actually work) that could help me out. The litters are in a small room that serves as a locker/storage room and I just leave the door slighly open.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use a combination of a clumping grass litter (either Abound, a Kroger brand, or SmartCat) and three litter-catching iPrimio mats. That works fairly well with Mocha, my short-haired cat, but if your cats are long haired there may not be much you can do. My long-haired calico, Iris, gets it caught among the toe floof and while the mat helps, she still tracks litter. By using the three mats as sort of a runway, I do catch a lot of it, though.

I also broke down and bought a good cordless vac which makes clean up quick and easy. :)