Litter For Asthmatic Kitten.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my almost nine mo th old kittens has a vet appointment on Wednesday as he has been having wheezing fits. Not very often, he has had five since we got him when he was eight weeks old.

They all seem to have been triggered by stress or the most recent when we had to use a cheap backup litter when no other was available.

Can anyone suggest a dust free or dust low litter that could help? The cheaper the better as I’m on a tight budget but ultimately I just want him to feel better.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay, i did a little looking into on this. i have no experience with respiratory issues in cats (or humans).

what i got out of what i read was to work with your vet in treating the respiratory issues (like you're doing), use an uncovered litter box because a cover can trap the ammonia (from cat urine) which is a potential respiratory irritant, use dust free/low dust cat litter -- which you know -- and from what i read which litter helps/doesn't irritate the cat varies (so try different brands and types -- like Yesterdays News (made with recycled paper), special for respiratory relief type (i saw Dr Elsey's brand, in clay or crystals), wood pellet litters, or corn pellet litters).

here's an old thread, so some members who had posted in it may not still be active here at TCS, on the subject of cat litter for asthmatic cats -- Best litter for asthmatic cats

we're here for you, to help in any ways we're able to! :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has an upper respiratory infection been ruled out?
No, his vets is on Wednesday but he has had them a few times in the last six months and his breathing outside of the attacks seems fine. His stance is also identical to the photos I’ve seen of asthma attacks in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay, i did a little looking into on this. i have no experience with respiratory issues in cats (or humans).

what i got out of what i read was to work with your vet in treating the respiratory issues (like you're doing), use an uncovered litter box because a cover can trap the ammonia (from cat urine) which is a potential respiratory irritant, use dust free/low dust cat litter -- which you know -- and from what i read which litter helps/doesn't irritate the cat varies (so try different brands and types -- like Yesterdays News (made with recycled paper), special for respiratory relief type (i saw Dr Elsey's brand, in clay or crystals), wood pellet litters, or corn pellet litters).

here's an old thread, so some members who had posted in it may not still be active here at TCS, on the subject of cat litter for asthmatic cats -- Best litter for asthmatic cats

we're here for you, to help in any ways we're able to! :hugs:
Thank you for this advice. We’re now trying a natural dust free litter. I can remember the brand off the top of my head. I only changed it earlier today and am not in at the moment but will let you know how it goes.

I did look into Dr. Elsey but don’t know where in the uk that I would get it.