Litter Disposal System?

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is a litter disposal system worthwhile? If so, which one?

I have been using a 5 gallon bucket from Lowe's. [I already had the bucket and bought a lid for it. So, NO, the cat doesn't fill a 5 gallon bucket; but, the bucket does hold the contents of the litter box when I completely change it out.] It is functional; but, while I am scooping, the previous 'entries' into the container do tend to reek. I just put in a 13 gal trash bag--2, if I am planning to exchange the entire box.

I want something smaller. And, I could get a smaller bucket--but the smell sneaking out would still be an issue.

Is one of the Cat Genie or other litter disposal systems worth the expense? It looks essentially like a bucket with a trap door to keep the previous deposits contained.

Also: is there a BAD SMELL emoji I am not seeing? If there isn't, need one

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the Litter Genie. It's $15 on Chewy and I have two, one for each box. I was finding that I was going through the bags/refills very frequently when I was scooping the pee clumps in too so now I have a new tactic to ensure the refills last upwards of 2 months. I scoop just the poop into the litter genie and it really does lock in the smell, I don't even need to use air fresheners anymore! :lol: As for the pee, I just scoop those clumps into a scented trash bag and wait until it fills up, usually only 3 days or so since my cats are on wet and raw and pee like champs.

• Purraise
Reactions: LAL

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also: is there a BAD SMELL emoji I am not seeing? If there isn't, need one
:barfgreen:

I scoop into plastic bags from the grocery store. I tie it up and toss it in the kitchen trash. The smell isn't an issue unless the bag has a hole somewhere. Our kitchen trash can has a lid anyway. (I like those bags Kieka linked above!)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:barfgreen:

I scoop into plastic bags from the grocery store. I tie it up and toss it in the kitchen trash. The smell isn't an issue unless the bag has a hole somewhere. Our kitchen trash can has a lid anyway. (I like those bags Kieka linked above!)
My county makes us pay from the grocery bags. So I switched to poop bags when that happened; partially for the environment but also because it ends up costing 0.05 cents a bag instead of the 0.10 cents a bag the store charges me.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We use a biodegradable litter (sWheat Scoop) that goes right into the toilet. No plastic bags and no smell from accumulated used litter.

We do have to use clay litter for the catio litter box and we have a Litter Genie for that. It works great.