Litter Boxes

kittycat004!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I'm new here. Is there a cat litter out there that is 4/5 stars for ALL of the following:
Tight clumping-no little stragglers in the litter
Dust free
Non stick
Odor control
Lightweight
Nontracking
Unscented

It seems you can find some of these things in one box but not all of them-esp lightweight with all of the other things. Is it crazy to expect to find all of those on the list in one litter box?!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it seems it’s crazy unfortunately :) Perfect litter doesn’t exist.

I’m currently using grass seed litter (Smart Cat or Petco brand) and it has all you listed apart from non tracking- in fact, it tracks a lot, but I don’t mind that much since the mat is good at capturing most of it and the robotic vacuum takes care of the rest. But it’s least dusty of everything I tried so far and that’s most important for my asthmatic kitty. It clumps perfectly.
It seems you’d need to choose what’s most important for you out of your list and take it from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycat004!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bummer, huh! Thanks for the recommendation!

kittycat004!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sigh! I agree! No purrr fect litter. Thanks for the site to check out

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as already mentioned there is no perfect litter. I'm STILL searching!:rolleyes:

But I do have a few tricks and things I've noticed to help with some of the things you mentioned.
for tight clumping - I find that even if it says "tight clumping" on the bag, if kitty tends to pee on the side or in the corners of the box and does not cover very well, it does not clump great. So I have sometimes covered it for them to help absorb more of the liquid before scooping. Also, if it's not scooped enough, sometimes, if you have a avid digger, they can disrupt a previous clump causing some bits to break off.
Dust free - good luck! But I do find that litters with baking soda tend to be more dusty. I currently use Worlds Best and the dust is much better than clay but it still has it's issues. I'm looking to try pine pellet or grass next.
Non-stick - Make sure you have enough litter in your box so that the pee is in litter and not on the bottom or sides of the box. If kitty is a side or corner pee'r, then make sure it's covered well to absorb more moisture so it won't stick as much. Tapping the sides of the box to loosen helps as well before scooping.
Odor control - unless if a fresh poop (not much you can do about that), if litter boxes are kept clean, this shouldn't be a problem. Also ensuring that you change out the box (even if it's clumping) and clean the box regularly.
Lightweight - Worlds Best is lighter than normal clay, and I've heard that pine and grass are as well. I'm sure there are others too.
Non-tracking - Unfortunately, clumping litters in general track more because they stick. Also, lightweight litters tend to track more as well because they are lighter and subject to cats who dig a lot. A good mat with an irregular surface can help trap litter and "clean off" kitties paws as they walk away from the box.
Unscented - To me that one's pretty easy to find, most brands have an unscented formula.

Again, this is just what I have personally found with MY cats and the litters I have used n the past. As mentioned before, I'm still looking for a litter I really like, but doing these things has helped while I search.

kittycat004!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW! Great suggestions. thankyou bunches!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
if kitty tends to pee on the side or in the corners of the box and does not cover very well, it does not clump great. So I have sometimes covered it for them to help absorb more of the liquid before scooping.
My Ruby's a "side of the box" pee-er, so most of the time I can't scoop the clump. I've tried hitting the side of the litter box to loosen it, but more often than not, it'll break up. So mostly I'll tip the box so the loose litter goes to the other end, then use a paper towel to remove the clump and any pieces that crumble. I also use Petkin Litter Box wipes to clean any residue left behind, as well as when I want to clean the entire litter box.

catlitterimprover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried tofu cat litter? I mean the broken particles tofu cat litter, not the granules. It is really amazing,i think it can meet your requirements.
The particles in good size can absorb urine fully, but not easy to stick to kittty paws. High absorption, lightweight but very low dust, good odor control. It can clump in two seconds and the clumps are tight enough. The most important is that the litter is made of natural materials--soya residue, no harm to cat and people.