Litter boxes

mariya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey this is just a curiosity question.
Say I want to move into a two bedroom apartment in the future. (Live alone) and i would want to adopt/foster 2-5 cats, would there be enough space for them? Like in a standard sized apartment? Also does anyone have experience with many cats in an apartment? Where would you put all the litter boxes???

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The rule of thumb is one litter box per cat plus one.  The litter boxes should be in different areas which can be an issue in an apartment.  I have 2 cats, three litter boxes and I have two litter boxes together.  It has worked out fine for me. I am in a 730 sq ft 1 bedroom apt.

I have heard the rule of thumb is 200 sq ft per cat but I have known people who had less than that and things worked out fine.  A lot depends on the cats and how well they get along.  You do need to remember that cats can get stressed if things get too crowded.  You can add 'space' by going up with cat trees and shelves.  Shelves can be an issue in a rental though because of damage to the walls.  Many apartments have a 2 pet rule.  I know many people stretch the rules but I was always afraid to.  I am afraid that someone who doesn't like cats will see more than 2 cats in a window.

Last edited:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in a 900 sf apartment with two cats.  Previously, I was in a 500 sf apartment, and in retrospect they were a bit stressed despite having a cat tree, tunnels & boxes & solo toys that I changed up regularly, and places to lounge by the windows.  They obviously needed more.  Definitely plan on multiple cat trees, window perches, and climbing routes along the walls, and also consider investing in a fish tank and making sure your apartment has a view of trees & birds.  I've noted also that my cats like some wide open space to run around in, and for interactive play.

Litter boxes and feeding stations are probably going to be your main issue.  Even if you found enough spots for litter boxes, you'd have to keep them away from food and water, and major play areas - and remember that food and water have to be separated, as well.  With your cat fostering plan, you'll need to stick with the rule of thumb (i.e. 6 litter boxes and multiple food/water stations), and you'll need an extra room also for cat introductions.