Litter Boxes And Pet Parent Health

Catmomof2years

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some advice, I have severe asthma and everytime I clean my cats boxes I have breathing problems. Any type of litter that would be good for both my cats health and my health.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sure there are brands with less dust and hopefully someone can speak to that. Does your litter have a scent that is triggering the attack? Would wearing one of the surgical masks (lumber stores also sell them for painters) help? Is there someone else who can scoop the boxes?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, wear those paper masks, they may help. You might even get a good respirator mask like painters use and keep it by the litterbox. There are litters out there that have a lot less dust, maybe someone can advise you on some. I use Fresh Step I buy at Walmart and it tracks a lot less.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is an automatic litter box an option? Something like the Litter Maid or Litter Robot. You just empty the compartment when it's full. You do need to add more litter every so often but wearing a face mask / N 95 respirator will help. Not a surgical mask, though. Those don't fit snugly around the face and aren't meant to minimize inhalation of dust particles.

I'm not sure if paper or corn cob type litter are any less dusty. They probably do cost more than regular clumping litter.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Corn, wheat, pine and clay are all dusty. My experience is that grass litter is the least dusty. Apparently paper litter is supposed to be dust free but I’ve never tried it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Littermaid's walnut is dust free, and their litter made from corncob is also dust free.
These don't clump although the walnut says it does.
If you're ok with that, give these a try.
If you want the clumping from sodium bentonite clay, try what I'm doing which is a mix of arm and hammer unscented multicat and littermaid's walnut, the walnut absorbs a lot of the dust.
This plus a mask ought to help a lot for you.

Last edited:

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need some advice, I have severe asthma and everytime I clean my cats boxes I have breathing problems. Any type of litter that would be good for both my cats health and my health.
I use paper pellet litter. I personally dont use clumping nor the sandy types cause all 3 of us got a horrible cough after that 1 time i bought sandy litter.

The brand im using now is Green Kat and its quite similar to Fussie Cat's litter. It doesn't clump and can be quite hard to clean but I do so twice a day (or rather each time I see poo or pee in the box). It works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmomof2years

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your advice definitely will have to give this stuff a try

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Catmomof2years Catmomof2years
Here is the “magic” litter recipe I keep saved to cut and paste but I think it’s current! There’s absolutely no smell from cat at all, and I scoop it into the box instead of just dumping it to keep any dust down. There’s no dust on my furniture from her digging (she really makes sure she covers everything and digs!) I’m sure the box must help that too if there is any? No allergies from the wood, and the long hair clumping pellets listed below looks a lot like pellet stove pellets, and the soft is tiny bits of wood- why I mix them.
The other litters (grass and walnut) are also well reviewed but I haven’t tried them.
Best of luck and please forgive my rushed typing. If you have any questions let us know, and let us know what you choose and if you like it! :)

Finding the best litter for your little family is SO important! OkoCat was suggested by the lovely folks here, and I have been using it now for several months, with no plan to change! Let me give you my secret recipe!:)
Seriously I am SO sensitive to smells, and the texture of clay litters.

OkoCat Litters ROCK!
After reading MANY reviews online, one gentleman said to mix approximately 30% clumping longhair, with 70%soft clumping. Everyone’s reviews said they loved this mix SO much, but the number one complaint was tracking- said to be worse than any other litter.
I was determined since I cannot have any sand based product in my home. I found the answer!
The Booda dome litter box, had stairs that the cat must use to get in and out of the box. The steps have texture and little gutters that keep the litter in the box.
It’s an amazing combination! I also keep a catch mat in front, but very little makes it that far.
When I scoop I sweep the steps with a hand broom and tip any loose from the mat and the steps back in the box, and NO tracking!! I also add nonscents to the litter for any smell, so no baking soda tracking residue anymore either!
I also just started adding a handful of Crystal litter to the mix (since I had leftover bags to use up) and it keeps the wood dry and fresh in the summer humidity. Seriously, it’s perfect!! A gal who fosters kittens has already switched and loves it too! Adjust if you like or need, I find this just works the best. You don’t need to do all of this of course, and it’s a lot to buy but then I have a ton of litter and don’t have to buy more often. Also, the scoop mentioned is best for the wood litter since most scoops are made for clay litters. The litter itself is very easy to carry and environmentally friendly. It’s specially mulled wood bits and I like that I don’t have to carry heavy boxes, and I’m not putting heavy sacks of sand in my trash either. I also use a big measuring cup to put it in the box to avoid creating any dust when I fill it. I’ve also not had any dust with this box, but I wouldn’t try this litter without the steps to clean their feet off because that would be a mess. There is no smell in my house, and I’m so glad. The only issue is the litter has become so popular it’s sold out often. :/
Try it and I hope you like it! :)

Magic Litter Mix:

30% OkoCat clumping long hair
Okocat Natural Wood Long Hair Breeds Cat Litter

70% Oko Cat Clumping soft paw
Okocat Super Soft Clumping Wood Cat Litter

Handful of Crystal litter (keeps dry)

Booda Dome cat box (With Stairs!!)
Booda Petmate Dome Cleanstep Cat Box, Brushed Nickel
Scoop
Catit Cat Litter Scoop, Warm Gray
Catch mat

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear one of those cloth masks that are popular in Asian countries when dealing with litter. It maybe doesn't block all the dust but it works well enough for me. I don't like the paper dust masks because they smell weird and the nose thing hurts.

Pouring/scooping the litter carefully helps keep the dust down. I didn't realize how much it helps until I had a kid helping me, and she just dumped the litter in. Dust clouds all over!

It also depends what you're allergic to. Natural litters like Swheat Scoop and World's Best trigger my allergies. Clay litter doesn't (unless the dust gets stirred up by kids, lol). So it'll take a little experimenting for you.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat and a husband with asthma, so dust free litter is a must at my house. I think i have tried most of the litters out there. I have some that i consider tried and true. dust and fragrance free.

Abound grass litter, i get it at Kroger. If i cannot get it i would use smart cat grass litter by pioneer.

Litter maid walnut litter, i can only find it at Walmart.

Dr. Elseys respiratory relief silica gel litter, i get it from chewy.

hartz multi cat clumping paper litter, if your cats will use pellets. these are fairly small, and soft, one of the few pellet types that my guys will use.

And i do love that Catit scoop that was posted earlier :heartshape: