Litter Box

victoria1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I need some advise please. We have 3 cats and I noticed that the elder one started to sit in the shared litter box..a couple of days ago. First idea that came to our minds was that she might suffer from constipation.
But now it doesn't seem so. She would just go into the litter box at least every half an hour and sit there for 5-10 min not doing anything, just chilling. While in there, she is not straining , just looking around. Can anyone please tell me what is going on? It has never happened before. Apart from doing so, the cat acts completely normal, has a good appetite.

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suspect territorialism. If possible, add a litter box, introduce your elder cat to it and see what happens.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing to do is get her checked out by a vet asap. This behaviour is very abnormal, and I'd want to be certain that she's fit and well before looking for purely behavioural reasons. I know she's acting normal in all other respects, but cats are masters at concealing illness and pain. By the time they look and act sick, things have often worsened. Catching things early is the best (not to mention cheapest) choice. Treatment is often much faster and easier if something is caught right at the start.[article="32341"][/article]

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Columbine about the vet visit! Your cat may be nauseated or not yet be showing outward symptoms of a UTI. Let us know what you find out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victoria1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Columbine about the vet visit! Your cat may be nauseated or not yet be showing outward symptoms of a UTI. Let us know what you find out!
We took her to the vet yesterday. She was diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis and bladder inflammation. Was prescribed whole bunch of drugs, was quite an expensive visit (310$).

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news that she's feeling better.

If you have 3 cats I'd still think about adding another litter box. It might help you avoid territorial issues in the future !

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Great news that she's feeling better.

If you have 3 cats I'd still think about adding another litter box. It might help you avoid territorial issues in the future !

Or even two more.

[article="32366"]How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]