Litter Box Woes (urinary And Anal Gland Issues)

Marmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there. I have joined this forum with hopes of gathering tips or experiences from you folk. Long post, heads up!

I have a four year old cat who developed crystals about two years ago and has since been on Royal Canin adult maintenance canned and dry food. After he was deemed well enough to be off of the urinary SO of course. About a year ago he had his first bout with a blocked anal gland, causing him to flee from the litter box in full panic mode. I thought he was having a crystal flare up but turned out he had a blocked gland, and was constipated as well. He developed a litter box aversion after this. He eventually got over it, but a few months ago was back to his old ways of fleeing from the box. He has since been checked at the vet for both abnormalities of his colon or urinary tract and has been deemed physically healthy. We have added pumpkin to his food at the suggestion of his vet. My husband and I had to buy a rather large dog kennel and use it to retrain him in the litter box since he was so afraid of it. He now only poos in the box if I walk him to his kennel and close the door for him to do his business, then let him out.

I have been trying to get him to drink more water (fountain, leaving the tap on, ANYTHING), but he doesn’t drink very much. He also has started to not like his Royal Canin wet food very much, and has been eating more kibble. After researching things online, I tried some canned Purina focus URINARY health canned food just to try and get him to ingest more moisture. He loves it. However, he still requires me to put him in the kennel to go to bathroom (which is fine, he just looks so nervous).

Now after feeding him the dry Royal Canin food and canned Purina urinary food for about two weeks, today after he left the box (upon me opening the kennel) I checked just to see how things looked down there and saw a little drop of blood on his urethra. He had just had a normal size pee that didn’t look discoloured at all. Perhaps me giving him too many natures balance treats helped contribute to this? Augh, I feel so guilty for giving him anything that they didn’t tell me to at the vet. I’m just so desperate to get him to eat more canned food.

Also I should note other things I have tried for him:

Royal Canin GI food for easier digestion (gave him diarrhea and made him even more terrified to go to the litter box)

Amitriptyline to help with his anxiety (didn’t work, also gave him diarrhea)

Feliway diffuser

Special attract cat litter, new boxes, new everything.

I’ll be calling my vet in the morning to get him in, but any advice for now would be great.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Thank you for posting. What is your cat's name?

It is OK to give him treats. Buy a small bag of freeze-dried raw nuggets, then mix them with water as instructed. It is not meant to be a full meal (he still needs wet food for that), but much healthier than kibbles as a supplement.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry your baby is having problems. It sounds like you are doing everything right. It’s hard to judge urine color on litter, it might have been a bit pink. Have you taken him to the vet and what was found? Please keep us updated. Sending healing vibes to your kitty and comforting vibes to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Thank you for posting. What is your cat's name?

It is OK to give him treats. Buy a small bag of freeze-dried raw nuggets, then mix them with water as instructed. It is not meant to be a full meal (he still needs wet food for that), but much healthier than kibbles as a supplement.
Thank you for the lovely welcome My kitty’s name is Hugo.

I will look for those at our local pet stores. We have a few different ones here. Thank you for the tip!

Marmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry your baby is having problems. It sounds like you are doing everything right. It’s hard to judge urine color on litter, it might have been a bit pink. Have you taken him to the vet and what was found? Please keep us updated. Sending healing vibes to your kitty and comforting vibes to you.
Thank you very much for the well wishes .

Hugo seems to be doing okay for now. He went to the vet today and is back on the Royal Canin SO food for now to dissolve any crystals, as well as subcutaneous fluids to keep him hydrated. He may need to be on this for the rest of his life. I can only hope to help ease him back into a normal a litter box routine once he feels more relaxed.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Did you ask the vet about other feeding options that won't make the problem worse if Hugo refuses to eat what he is supposed to?

Marmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Did you ask the vet about other feeding options that won't make the problem worse if Hugo refuses to eat what he is supposed to?
The vet gave me a different canned prescription food (Purina urinary SO) to try him with so that maybe I can have a rotation of food that he doesn’t get tired of. I’ll just be keeping my fingers crossed there’s no upset digestion from it ;)