Litter Box Solution For Asthetics And Function?

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been struggling with finding a good litter box that works well and looks nice. I don't have anywhere I can hide one in my apartment and need a hooded or high walled litter box to at least try and contain the litter. It tracks quite a bit on the laminate floors. After several DIY projects and a few tries with standard commercial projects I ended up with one of these: Merry Pet Cat Washroom Benches. A person on these forums posted about converting a TV stand into a litter box area and I thought it was a fantastic idea (if anyone knows who it was he/she deserves serious props). Unfortunately I was unable to find a good TV stand or cabinet setup to fashion into something similar so there was only the option to purchase something pre-made. I have only just put it together but have high hopes it will work. If anyone else is in a similar situation something like this might be worth looking into. Here is what it looks like:

litterbox1.jpg

litterbox2.jpg

Also, if anyone has anything similar and has suggestions I would like to hear them. I have my fingers crossed that this will end the issue of having a litter box stand out as the focal point in my apartment and also function well for the cats in addition to helping prevent a significant amount of tracking around the floor.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been struggling with finding a good litter box that works well and looks nice. I don't have anywhere I can hide one in my apartment and need a hooded or high walled litter box to at least try and contain the litter. It tracks quite a bit on the laminate floors. After several DIY projects and a few tries with standard commercial projects I ended up with one of these: Merry Pet Cat Washroom Benches. A person on these forums posted about converting a TV stand into a litter box area and I thought it was a fantastic idea (if anyone knows who it was he/she deserves serious props). Unfortunately I was unable to find a good TV stand or cabinet setup to fashion into something similar so there was only the option to purchase something pre-made. I have only just put it together but have high hopes it will work. If anyone else is in a similar situation something like this might be worth looking into. Here is what it looks like:

View attachment 240823

View attachment 240824

Also, if anyone has anything similar and has suggestions I would like to hear them. I have my fingers crossed that this will end the issue of having a litter box stand out as the focal point in my apartment and also function well for the cats in addition to helping prevent a significant amount of tracking around the floor.
That is really nice. It looks like a great set-up. We made our own but it's quite larger cause our cats have their own room. We're fortunate to have an extra room. Ours opens on top. The cats like to sit on and look out the window. It has an extra long plastic storage bin doubling as a litter box. Some litter gets out but most stays inside.
IMG_20180708_040520.jpg

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
CommonCatOwner CommonCatOwner That looks great! I keep thinking about having one built; I have a contractor who is good with that sort of thing and loves my cats.

M Minxxy You are lucky to have an extra room for your cats. Great setup for window watching! What is the size of the openings?

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. The cats like to. The openings are 12 inches high and about 12 inches wide. We have a big boy kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Minxxy - That is very cool. I'd love to be able to build something like that. Maybe sometime in the future... As for having an extra room I really think if I had a dedicated room for the cats they still would not use it. They tend to want to follow me around and be in whatever room I am in...

silkenpaw - If a person had the materials, or access to the materials, it would be fairly simple to build using a few basic tools. The main concept I wanted to follow was converting a TV stand into something like this by cutting an opening in the side and removing any shelves (which are usually inserts). People have done it with end tables as well. I couldn't find any inexpensive TV stand at a thrift store or garage sale for the past long while and had no recourse but to purchase something pre-made.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use the exact same thing ("Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench") although ours are the white color. We love them and have several.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lutece - Have you had any issues with yours? I saw a review about needing to waterproof the inside and was wondering if this is a real issue. So far it seems pretty great for me and the cats.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not had any issues with mine, but my cats are pretty good about peeing in the litter boxes. I haven't had any trouble cleaning occasional messes from the cabinet floor/walls. I would only feel the need to waterproof the inside if I had a cat that consistently sprayed all over the inside of the cabinet, getting the material soaked with pee.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I sort of felt the same but was concerned anyway. It is a great setup I wish I would have come across sooner.