Litter box room question

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We converted a bedroom into a cat room. They have two small "trees" in front of the Windows, a couple of hidey beds, scratchers and a fountain. The closet is good sized and we have four litter boxes in it. The problem is that it's carpeted and other than the obvious pain of having litter on carpet someone is peeling between the boxes occasionally and now someone is pooping as well ( I swear I need a game cam!) [emoji]128513[/emoji] My question is what would you think is the best flooring to put down instead of carpet? I know what I think but I promised my husband I would get other opinions as well.

Mods if this is the wrong place please move it. [emoji]128568[/emoji]

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would think tile or some sort of vinyl/laminate flooring would be the best choice. Easy to clean.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you aren't able to remove the carpet to put down a vinyl/laminate flooring, then I recommend (as funny as it sounds) putting down a large, closet sized dry erase board. You can make one pretty easily with plywood and the laminate coating stuff. It's what I use for my litter closet since I live in an apartment and can't rip up the carpet!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think vinyl or laminate would be ideal.  Avoid tile with grout, since it absolutely SUCKS to clean urine if it seeps into the grout.  Unfortunately, I know from experience...

Either way, you might want to put down some sort of mat to trap the urine.  I like the Purr-fect Paws Litter Mats.  Our Coco occasionally won't step far enough into the litter box, and will pee out the front.  This mat will trap the urine at least, and can be rinsed off with some soap and water.

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are looking to rip out the current carpet from the carpet, I suggest you replace it with what YOU would like. That way you won't have to redo it if you decide to use the room for non-cat use in the future, or if you decide to sell the house.

To keep the floor area clean and to make it easy to clean, I suggest those plastic mats that is used under office chairs to make it easy to roll (something like this ).

These mats typically have little spikes that would anchor well to the carpet and prevent it being shifted around when your cat "dig" on it. The fact that they are plastic makes it easy to vacuum, wipe, and sanitize in case of poor aim.