Litter Box Questions

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve always been curious and have read different opinions and been told different things about how much litter you should put in the box? And how often should I change it? And when you read on the back of litter (like world best) and it says last 2 cats 1 month how many boxes are they taking into consideration? Like would it last 2 cats 1 month with three boxes (so I wouldn’t change any of the boxes for a full month so in turn the bag would last me one fill up for every box?)and if they have one box instead(would I be able to stretch the litter even longer? Or would I have to change it out more frequently and use the whole bag up in a month)? Ahh questions questions.
I have three boxes for two cats atm. I put an inch or two in the box. I scoop regularly but change complete every two weeks. Currently using dr elseys and Lucy pets cat litter. My regime seems to work well for the most part. My boy likes to poop on the floor if I don’t scoop it promptly enough each day tho.

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't really have specific answers for your questions, but I can tell you that from my experience, a couple inches is usually enough. My cat is very picky about her litter box & if it wasn't cleaned daily she would "go" elsewhere around the house. This led me to buy an automatic litter box (which I love!) so she never gets upset with me for it not being clean enough for her :) But before I had the automatic litter box, I would fill it with a few inches of litter and scoop it nightly. Then I would do a big clean every 2-4 weeks, depending on how messy it was. I only have the one cat though, so multiple cats can change things. I think it really just depends on your cat, & as long as you keep it clean & they are using it, then all is good.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have everything covered and have found what works well for your cats. Some cats are very picky about the litter boxes being pristine and will let you know it doesn't meet their standards by doing what your boy does. I think that shows that you are doing a good job keeping them clean and it is what he is used to.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 jumbo litter boxes for 2 cats. Each box takes a 40 pound box of litter per month. I dump the litter and scrub out the box with dish soap on the 1st of every month, and replace with new litter. I take the 40 pound box and fill the litterbox almost half full, about 3 inches. Then I have a cup that's probably about 8oz and I add back litter once a day after I scoop out their pee/poop. This keeps the litter deep so it stays clean. If Maggie pees on the side of the box, I spot clean it with white vinegar/water mixture sprayed on a paper towel.